Installing electric range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knipex22

Occupation
Industrial controls
Hi!
I have something that is bugging me about a project I’m about to take on. I do industrial electrical troubleshooting for work, but never new installs or much residential.

I have a guest house that I want to put an electric range in. It is powered with a 100A sub panel that is ran from the main house. The main house has 200 amp service. I have attached pictures of the two panels. The smaller newer panel is the guest house where I wish to install the range. I guess something that I have never paid attention to is breaker sizing according to the main feed. Would I be able to add my range which requires a 50A double breaker?

I am afraid with the ac requiring the 40A that if the a/c and stove were running it would trip the main 100A feed. Accounting for other misc draws from outlets and such. I haven’t done an amp draw reading on what the a/c actually pulls yet. Thank you for any help

Attachments

• 17993F5D-DF17-462F-B78E-7C2BFF2A8D9A.jpeg
    17993F5D-DF17-462F-B78E-7C2BFF2A8D9A.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 63
  • EB8623F1-7E8A-442C-A973-EE4718E6FF09.jpeg
    EB8623F1-7E8A-442C-A973-EE4718E6FF09.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 65

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Without knowing the loads it can only be a guess. I would be real surprised if adding the range was an issue. Also when you add the range the sub panel would need a main breaker to be compliant as you will have more than 6 breakers

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
And while you're at it make it all a four wire in the guest house or bond the neutral if that was allowable back when it was installed.

I haven't seen a split buss in a long time.

I don't see the range as causing grief. We still have customers running a house full of kids on old 60 amp main/range fuse panels.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
And while you're at it make it all a four wire in the guest house or bond the neutral if that was allowable back when it was installed.

I haven't seen a split buss in a long time.

I don't see the range as causing grief. We still have customers running a house full of kids on old 60 amp main/range fuse panels.
For some reason Georgia Power gave out a lot of split buss panels to their customers back in the 60’s or 70’s. Kind of a pain when splitting up loads for a generator, the transferswitch main would come off one buss, but other loads would need to be moved off the other buss onto the generator loading up the first buss, which usually was only 100 amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.