Installing grounding plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cparish

Occupation
Electrician
I have a job in north jersey in a section 8 housing complex. We have 3 bldgs where we cannot get rods in past a foot or so. Excavator on site is going to help me either lay them horizontally or dig down for the plate. My question is, do I need two plates per service like when installing rods? Or will one suffice? Thanks in advance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A second electrode is required unless tested and proven to be 25Ω or less. {250.53(A)(2)}
New building? No CEE?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Going along with the OP's question, I also have the same question for a project.

Code calls out 2 square feet of grounding plate surface in contact with the earth, does a 10" x 16" plate count since two sides of it are in contact or does a person need a 12" x 24" plate?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Going along with the OP's question, I also have the same question for a project.

Code calls out 2 square feet of grounding plate surface in contact with the earth, does a 10" x 16" plate count since two sides of it are in contact or does a person need a 12" x 24" plate?

I don't see anywhere that would allow that. I assume when they say 2 sq. ft they are talking about both sides.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The rule requires 2 square feet in contact with the earth, and both sides of the plate as well as the edges are in contact with the earth. A plate 12" x 12" complies with the code requirement.

synchro

Occupation
EE
The rule requires 2 square feet in contact with the earth, and both sides of the plate as well as the edges are in contact with the earth. A plate 12" x 12" complies with the code requirement.
Agree, and here are listed plates that have 1 sq. ft. of area on each side:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the upper side of a horizontally mounted plate was covered in plastic, or deliberately covered with dry sand and rock fill instead of local earth, I could see some inspectors failing it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a 36" long 5/8" SDS-Max bit that my Bosch should be able to drive through whatever is in the way.

7d1r.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.