Installing PLFA circuit with 120 volt circuit in same raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeW

I am installing a commercial fire alarm control panel and adjacent to it is a radio box to transmit signals to the local fire department.
IF I understand NFPA70 correctly, since the 120 volt circuit is supplying power to both the facp and the radio box (which is attached to the facp using a 1/2" offset nipple) I can install the 120v circuit thru the same raceway as the PLFA cable. Is this correct?

GeorgeW

I am installing a commercial fire alarm control panel and adjacent to it is a radio box to transmit signals to the local fire department.
IF I understand NFPA70 correctly, since the 120 volt circuit is supplying power to both the facp and the radio box (which is attached to the facp using a 1/2" offset nipple) I can install the 120v circuit thru the same raceway as the PLFA cable. Is this correct?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

I wouldn't think so.

760.136 Separation from Electric Light, Power, Class 1, NPLFA, and Medium-Power Network-Powered Broadband Communications Circuit Conductors.
(A) General. Power-limited fire alarm circuit cables and conductors shall not be placed in any cable, cable tray, compartment, enclosure, manhole, outlet box, device box, raceway, or similar fitting with conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm circuits, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits unless permitted by 760.136(B) through (G).
NECHB commentary:

Jackets of listed power-limited fire alarm cables do not have sufficient construction specifications to permit them to be installed with electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm circuits, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications cables. Failure of the cable insulation due to a fault could lead to hazardous voltages being imposed on the power-limited fire alarm circuit conductors.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Would it comply with 760.136(E)?

How would you do that in a ?" offset nipple?

760.136(E) Enclosures with Single Opening.

Where power-limited fire alarm circuit conductors must enter an enclosure that is provided with a single opening, they shall be permitted to enter through a single fitting (such as a tee), provided the conductors are separated from the conductors of the other circuits by a continuous and firmly fixed nonconductor, such as flexible tubing.

chris kennedy

Occupation
FWIW, if I don't have a KO available right next to the 120V make up, I punch my own. I had an inspector question this so now I carry this.

SilentKnight.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.