Installing Pole Bases

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyha

We have always, always sub contracted these out but for this project we only have 2 so my guy wont do them. I remember as a helper many many years ago we bought some 4' x 4' steel gate stuff like what they use to prep a slab on grade. We cut in proper links and bent it around to form a circle about 4" less than the pole base itself. we then tied some #3 straight rebar sticks to the outside and throught the middle and dropped it in the hole. after stubbing up the conduit and ground we installed the sonatube. the sone tube needs to come out of the ground 12'. after we let it sit for and hour or so we strip the sona tube and brush it nicely. PLEASE DONT REPLY WITH WHAT DOES THE SPECS SAY CUS IF WE HAD THEM I WOULD NOT BE ASKING.Im just looking for a formal opinion from someone who does this often. Thanks:happyyes:

480sparky

We have always, always sub contracted these out but for this project we only have 2 so my guy wont do them.....

Looks like you'll be subbing those two out as well.

....... the sone tube needs to come out of the ground 12'........

I bet your lights look rather silly with 12 feet of concrete in the air.

...........PLEASE DONT REPLY WITH WHAT DOES THE SPECS SAY CUS IF WE HAD THEM I WOULD NOT BE ASKING.Im just looking for a formal opinion from someone who does this often. Thanks:happyyes:

Sad to say, but all the bases I've ever built had specs, so I build them to those. Pole height, bolt patterns, soil conditions, wind loads and frost depth generally make for a wide variety of base designs. I can't imagine there ever being one, single Holy Grail Pole Base method.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
While the specs for pole bases are pretty standard, we still require them to be engineered here. So my answer would be, what do the specs say?:happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.