Installing relay panels for building management systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobilia

OK. So we have a 2 inch conduit coming to a ceiling pull box with all the wiring for several groups of lighting circuits 120vac. Below the pull box is the lighting panel and beside the lighting panel is a new energy management relay panel to be used for controlling the building lighting circuits. I want to install a small nipple between the relay panel and the lighting panel to enclose the wiring from the breakers to their respective relays in the control panel. I want to run a conduit from the ceiling pull box to the relay panel with just the feeds to the lighting circuits only since space in the relay panel is minimal and there is no need for any neutrals in the relay panel since it only switches the line and loads. I want to run the neutrals from the pull box to the lighting panel in a separate conduit. My logic is that since the circuits are reasonably balanced, the current in the neutrals should be pretty minimal and not pose any problems with heating etc. I am told however I cannot do this as the conduit will heat up and cause a problem. I can see where this may be an issue for large main feeders where proper care to minimize eddy currents is not done, but in this case I do not feel that heating should be an issue or concern. Since we have several of such panels to install I would like to get another opinion about this type of installation and also a lot of the specifications have been done using the American codes.

In typical installations we normally would not run this way, but for this type of installation, it would make life a lot easier and a neater install.

dicklaxt

Are these relay panels discrete digital out relay cards with initiate sequences from a logic controller.If so then you are correct no neutrals required except for a UPS circuit for the PLC,,,,,,,,,,,,just curious.

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.