Installing single gang box on round steel pole.

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
Trying to come up with a plan on this. Want it water tight. I'd prefer a PVC gang box but negotiable. Trying to avoid welding. Just for communications cable.

In my head, I am envisioning either a radius backed box or adapter device, but I've never seen such a thing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've never hear of such a product but this would be a perfect project for a 3D printer. Load in the radius of the pole and the dimensions of the box and off you go.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd need to know more about the pole, but you should be able to use a close nipple into a threaded box.

Another option is a ring of sealant around the opening. Or an LB above or below the box, into the pole.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Try looking at traffic signal hardware.

There's probably a bracket that can be banded to the pole, you can then secure the box to the bracket.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is this a small pole, like a chain link fence post, or large like a telephone pole? A short piece of strut with a U bolt could work on a smaller pole. That approach can work on a larger pole too with strut on the front and back and threaded rod on the ends to sandwich the two pieces of strut to the pole. The sharp exposed edges of the strut could be an issue though if people walk near it.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Is this a small pole, like a chain link fence post, or large like a telephone pole? A short piece of strut with a U bolt could work on a smaller pole. That approach can work on a larger pole too with strut on the front and back and threaded rod on the ends to sandwich the two pieces of strut to the pole. The sharp exposed edges of the strut could be an issue though if people walk near it.
They make plastic end caps for strut

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
I do like Larry's idea! I don't have an exact diam right now but approx 5". It is a heavy wall pipe so should accept threading well. Didn't really want to have to pop such a big hole but........

I was also thinking of using butyl rubber to build a seal and tapping a couple screw holes at 12 and 6.