Installing Wiremold extensions in un grounded home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

Ok, Im we are working in a older upscale home with a flat roof, and we are running wiremold for lighting extensions on the ceilings and down walls, setting a switch and tying into a non-grounded outlet via a wire mold extension box....No ground present, and no way to get a home run to it thats feasable.....How do I protect the occupant from a future a shock hazzard? GFI?

I like that .
Also you are allowed to run a #12 grd. exposed to the nearest copper water line or electrode to grd. the outlet.
This is only PART true, the nearest copper water line is ONLY allowed if it is within 5 ft from the point of entrance of the building (then and ONLY then its part of the grounding electrode system). see 2008 NEC 250.52(A)(1) and also read 250.130(C) ;)

I think that copper water line practice was stopped mostly because alot of the new pipes and replacements are plastic. ;)

iwire

Staff member
Ok, Im we are working in a older upscale home with a flat roof, and we are running wiremold for lighting extensions on the ceilings and down walls, setting a switch and tying into a non-grounded outlet via a wire mold extension box....No ground present, and no way to get a home run to it thats feasable.....How do I protect the occupant from a future a shock hazzard? GFI?

There is no NEC exception to allow you to install ungrounded metal raceway.

Mule

Oops,my bad I had ran the raceway the day before....., Customer has already painted it in. I fed the extension with the load side of a GFI recept. It has a flat roof, and the entire back wall of the house is glass, and its covered with massive trees...... Art Linkerletter's daughter used to live in this house by the way! pretty kewl structure, but hard to do electrical work in....

Status
Not open for further replies.