Installing XP seal offs efficiently

Status
Not open for further replies.

naplespete57

Occupation
Project Manager in Conveyor Industry
Am going from having done Zer0 seal offs in my electrical career to doing a bunch of them! I need to be able to install them fairly quickly now sooo I could use some tips and ideas on how to fill them with Chico as fast yet as effectively as I can. Any help?

Thanks

Pete

hardworkingstiff

I've heard Crouse-Hinds has an expoxy sealing compound you don't have to mix. I've been told it goes in quickly and clean, but you really pay for that.

Another nice trick is to take the screw cap with funnel from a 1-Qt lube bottle, and an empty plastic soda bottle. Clean the soda bottle, then after you mix the Chico, pour it into the soda bottle and install the cap from the lube bottle onto the soda bottle. Makes pouring the sealoff easily controlled.

Packing those suckers is the most time consuming part. If you don't do it correctly, the Chico goes down the conduit. Make sure your packing doesn't come up too high in the sealoff. Using combo (horizontal/vertical) sealoffs in the vertical is a pain in the butt.

Good luck.

RayS

and make sure the conductors all have some packing around them- each individual one- so you don't have voids where they're twisted together

bobgorno

Paint or mark the hub to indicate it has been filled. Easier to track completion that way.

Remember the fill rules, 25%. Not your customary 40% as in conduit fill. Expanded fill seals or oversized seals with an RE may be a good option.

And please......don't get the Chico on the threads. It makes it hard to inspect......

HighWirey

We always (neatly) allowed some chico to spill on the outside of the fitting. Never, in hundreds of sealoffs, were we questioned. The QC witnessed the integrity of the fiber packing on the first few units, and we were good to go!

cschmid

lol..I love it seal offs are not a speed job..they need quality time, so enjoy.. One goes sweetly and the next one sucks. it is all about the pack so get a #2 pencil w/eraser and use the eraser end to pack the fittings. depends on temp to how much you can mix for pouring..I like to pack several and then go through and pour them..but always mark your fittings..

HighWirey

seal offs are not a speed job..they need quality time. One goes sweetly and the next one sucks

Very well put.

Don't recall what Means allows for a sealoff, but it isn't enough.
Never heard of the #2 pencil eraser trick.

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
I normally have a variety of differently bent plastic (some toothbrush handles bend when heated) rods of various sizes to pack with. Chopsticks workgood too. DON'T ever use something like a screw driver. Punctured wire this late in the game, big Buck$$.

Make sure it's warm enough to pour compound.

hardworkingstiff

don_resqcapt19 said:
I have never seen one without Chico on the threads.
Don

I used to get Chico in the theads all the time (pouring from a cup). Then I started using the top from the squirt lube bottle with a soda bottle (cleaned of course), and presto!, no more Chico in the threads. It's great control.

masterelect1

ductseal

ductseal

Use ductseal compound at all the conduit entrances- let it set up for 10-15 minutes and then pour chico- remember, the purpose of the cotton is to prevent the chico from penetrating the conduit run, Ductseal properly applied will prevent this better than cotton.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
masterelect1,
Use ductseal compound at all the conduit entrances- let it set up for 10-15 minutes and then pour chico- remember, the purpose of the cotton is to prevent the chico from penetrating the conduit run, Ductseal properly applied will prevent this better than cotton.
That does not meet the requirements for an explosionproof seal. The listing instructions specify the use of the fiber to build the damns. The use of duct seal in not permitted for this application.
Don

bobgorno

don_resqcapt19 said:
masterelect1,

That does not meet the requirements for an explosionproof seal. The listing instructions specify the use of the fiber to build the damns. The use of duct seal in not permitted for this application.
Don

I absolutley agree with Don. There is no test data to confirm that the duct seal will not harm or react with the Chico over time. The UL listing is based on the proper use of fiber damning material. Call Crouse-Hinds technical support, they will agree. I called them 15 years ago after running across many plants where this had been done. Luckily, the incorrect practice has dropped off........or maybe I'm doing less packing inspections and need to be more vigilent..........

hardworkingstiff

bobgorno said:
There is no test data to confirm that the duct seal will not harm or react with the Chico over time.

Come on now, do you really mean that? Duct seal having a harming effect on Chico that is a grout type material?

The manufacturers have simply put out statements that force inspectors and compliant electricians to use their (the manufacturers) packing material. They charge a premium for their packing material. The argument I heard from Crouse-Hinds is their packing material is designed to hold moisture content to the design specifications for proper curing of the Chico. Their packing material is also resistant to burning.

IMO, it's just a way for the manufacturer to make more money. I don't blame them, it's the way of the industry.

ryan_618

HighWirey said:
We always (neatly) allowed some chico to spill on the outside of the fitting. Never, in hundreds of sealoffs, were we questioned. The QC witnessed the integrity of the fiber packing on the first few units, and we were good to go!

I like this idea. It is a nice way of marking your seals to keep track of which are poured and which aren't. Sort of like spray painting them. As an inspector, I have actually seen quite a few seals that never got poured.

Status
Not open for further replies.