Instructor Liability

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Every profession has some level of assumed liability. Until recently, I was not sure what risks could be assoicated with instructing. In today's world, lawyers have this uncanny ability to make anything someone says or does as malicious willful intent to harm their client.

I have considered retaining "pre-paid" legal services in the event someone claims that something I said during a seminar is what lead them to burn a house down or some other unfortunate event. Anyone have any experience with this type of operation? It sounds a little "hokey" to me.

charlie

Re: Instructor Liability

That is interesting Bryan. I taught third year apprentices for eight years and the thought of liability insurance or being sued has never crossed my mind. Other professions have the Overactive Attorney Syndrome, why wouldn't the electrical trades? :eek:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

So what would be next? Suing your elementary school teacher because you didn't get into the college you wanted? :eek:

In this country, anyone can sue anyone else for anything, be it real or imagined. That doesn't mean they would win, but the process would not be fun. If you are concerned about a risk here, I suggest you talk to whoever is presently providing your liability insurance (i.e., presuming you still do electrical work). You might already be covered under "general liability."

mdshunk

I think that a plaintiff or a lawyer would have a tough time providing any substantial documentation that what they "claim" you said is what you "actually" said. Lacking this documentation, I'd think they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

jwelectric

I think that care should be taken because if someone said that you said what you said while you were saying what you said then them saying you said what you said would be what they said that you said. Now something had to be said before they could say what they said was what you said while saying what was said.
;)

sandsnow

A bit of a tangent:

Instructors also need to use some common sense not to get carried away. Here's two examples.

An instructor decided to take his class to one of his side jobs to do a service change hot. He was doing it the old fashioned way, no PPE. Upon hearing this I alerted the admin staff of the possible dangers and liability involved with the instructor doing this.

Another instructor (this I heard second hand) decided to show the class an alternate way to ignite a cadweld. He proceeded to connect two wires to a GFCI recep and spark the ends together over the mold. The thing explodes and burns a students shoe.

Both instructors were well meaning. Unfortunately there enthusiasm overwhelmed their common sense.

You can imagine the worst case scenario of greater injury and resulting legal morass that would develop.

pierre

"I think that care should be taken because if someone said that you said what you said while you were saying what you said then them saying you said what you said would be what they said that you said. Now something had to be said before they could say what they said was what you said while saying what was said." :cool:

JW
I like this, I am going to keep a copy of this for future if you do not mind.

growler

Very interesting. I would assume that some sort of Disclaimer could help. Everyone else has one. The AHJ's state that even though they inspect the work they assume no liability. I can't see why an instructor would want to take responsibility for something over which he has no control.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

your best bet is to buy good liability insurance. you should be able to get it for a reasonable fee. prepaid legal is by and large not cost effective, plus it only covers the legal fees and not any award that might be granted if you lose a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.