Insulated conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayC

We have a project where the GC wants to spray fireproofing over our EMT conduits. Would this change our ambient temperature adjustment? If so, how would it be calculated?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
We have a project where the GC wants to spray fireproofing over our EMT conduits. Would this change our ambient temperature adjustment? If so, how would it be calculated?
I too have had similar questions related to NM and spray foam insulation, seems to me it would, but told not, no satisfactory answer has been given nor code/UL references either way. If someone with knowledge has definitive references that would be great.

ClayC

My gut reaction is not because I believe our conduit fill allows for air flow within the raceway. Ambient temp factors would apply based on room temp and I don't think it would change because of the insulation on the conduit. Just not sure!

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
It would certainly change the actual operating temperature of the conductors, but there is no easy way to calculate this.

My gut reaction is that unless you have conductors right on the edge of what is allowed, there won't be an issue because the normal calculations are so conservative. However such gut reactions are easily wrong.

What sort of conduit fill, with what sort of circuits and loading are we discussing?

Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no NEC requirement to even consider this, if there were then the NEC would provide a way to calculate it. Cables and conduits are run in insulation all of the time.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
There is no NEC requirement to even consider this, if there were then the NEC would provide a way to calculate it. Cables and conduits are run in insulation all of the time.

IMHO there is a requirement to consider this. 310.10 basically says that you are not allowed to exceed conductor temperature limits.

This is rather like the 'basic speed rule', when driving you are not allowed to go faster than is safe for the conditions, no matter what the speed limit says.

So if you had a situation where a cable was buried in such extreme insulation that it would overheat even though it met NEC calculations, then that would be a code violation.

With all that said, as a practical matter, I stand by my previous statement and am in practical agreement with infinity. Unless you are talking about something loaded right up to the edge of NEC allowances, and buried in far more insulation than normally encountered, this is unlikely to be a problem and there is no easy way to calculate it.

Spray fireproofing is likely not that thick, and doesn't add much 'R' value. As an thermal insulator, it _must_ will slightly increase the operating temperature of the conductors, but do not believe this is likely to have any practical significance.

-Jon

tkb

What is the difference between a conduit in spray insulation and buried underground?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Same basic issues. Thermal insulation with thermal mass around a source of heat. If by 'conduits' you mean duct bank and by 'spray fireproofing ' you mean 3 feet of soil .... then there would be a significant derating issue :)

tkb

I don’t see a difference between a conduit buri in dirt and a conduit encased in insulation.
Same thermal affect.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My read is that unless the code says otherwise, it isn't a concern. There are only a few places where "free air" is listed as a concern and stuff in conduit follows different rules.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I don’t see a difference between a conduit buri in dirt and a conduit encased in insulation.
Same thermal affect.

As I agreed, same basic issue/theory. But a _significant_ difference in magnitude/importance.

An inch of fireproofing spray around a branch circuit conduit is a very different situation than a ductbank buried in feet of soil.

In one case you have a small circuit that is probably conservatively sized, covered with a small amount of insulation. In the other case you have a large circuit that is likely heavily loaded and because of its size it is more important to make efficient use of the installed capacity.

Additionally, the more expensive the circuit (larger capacity, larger conductors, etc) the more important it is to do more careful analysis to make best use of resources.

-Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
EMT embedded in insulation or fireproofing would still be better than a cable when it comes to trapped heat. The typical run of EMT has a 40% or less fill meaning that 60% of the interior is filled with air. A cable has a minuscule amount of air and for single cables there is no ampacity adjustment required when embedded in fireproofing or insulation.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
The temperature is heat added to, not produced by.
Pipes on a roof, in high temperature areas,

Status
Not open for further replies.