Insulated staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I always thought that it was code you had to use insulated staples on romex unless you used a staple gun?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with Infinity. It's not an NEC requirement but if you feel more comfortable using insulated staples, especially if you have a helper "slamming home" the staples, go ahead and use them. Will probably save some instances of arc-fault problems.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Related question, are NM cable staple guns any good? I had one about 25 years ago and it was terrible. Can the modern ones actually do an equal job to hammering in staples?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Related question, are NM cable staple guns any good? I had one about 25 years ago and it was terrible. Can the modern ones actually do an equal job to hammering in staples?
They're good for running NM cables along a pressure treated plate or rim joist in a basement. I've found they are not strong enough to set deep into the lumber. I often have to use my hammer to set them in further. That said, you can go broke if you're using them throughout a house IMHO.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I use this one and it's fantastic for those places where you can use it. It doesn't fit into every nook. The staples are two cents each and are insulated.
Link

You have to hold it firmly against the surface or the staples may not go in fully. One tap of a hammer will fix this.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I use a Gardner Bender Staple Boss, especially in the crawlspace as its faster than using a regular staple and hammer. Sometimes I have to tap the staple a bit with a hammer. Got mine at Home Depot. As far as the Dewalt, I am waiting for Milwaukee to come out with a M12 battery version

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Interesting. Looks like you have to use insulated staples with a gun. Per (Klein) manufacturer's instructions and you can only staple one cable.

What do you do when there is only 4" to drive a staple?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Interesting. Looks like you have to use insulated staples with a gun. Per (Klein) manufacturer's instructions and you can only staple one cable.

The Dewalt gun allows two cables under a staple.

What do you do when there is only 4" to drive a staple?
Revert to manual methods i.e. beat a standard staple in with the side of your lineman pliers.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Peoples Republic of Massachusetts has required them for probably 40 years. I worked in Vermont & Connecticut as well don't know what they require I just use the insulated

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I've never even used one. No offense to anyone but I always thought they were for idiot HO or DYI-ers. Didn't know AHJ required them.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never even used one. No offense to anyone but I always thought they were for idiot HO or DYI-ers. Didn't know AHJ required them.

I try not to be an idiot, but sometimes I fail.

I always use insulated staples because I'm fearful of accidentally shorting a cable. This would be a disaster of the highest order if it wasn't discovered until after all the drywall was installed. Insulated staples are cheap insurance.

Even a pre-drywall hot check won't protect you. If an uninsulated staple is too tight, the pressure may eat through the insulation causing a short months after installation. A rare case I'm sure, but one less problem to worry about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.