INSULATION CABLE GLAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Frnds .. new here,
Just want to know why do we need to used inculation cable gland? and where we should used it?..
The current project iam involved we used it for single core main feeder cable. between switchgear and transformer only one side.
Just curious why we did so..
thanks

macmikeman

Re: INSULATION CABLE GLAND

Welcome Mayhem. I won't be able to help you as I have no Idea what you are talking about. I only hold a master's license, and haven't reached the Supreme All Knowing level yet. Others will be able to answer you, especially if you make your post a little bit more clear. But anyway welcome to the forum.

macmikeman

George, I am thinking that Supreme All Knowing Level is when I read some really technical posts that make me wonder "how do these guys learn all this stuff? " They have reached that level I think. I would love to name some names, but I am afraid I might leave out some people by accident, so I had better not. But anyway they are regulars, and they impress the h___ out of me.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

501-421-detail.gif

This info is from a company website:

What is a Cable Gland actually?

A device designed to permit the entry of a cable into electrical equipment and which provides sealing and retention. It may also provide other functions such as earthing (or grounding), bonding, insulation, strain relief or a combination of these.
For some reason when you do a Goggle search most of the hits are from British companies.

iwire

Staff member

Small Cable Glands (non-contagious :)

FWIW only Google and Homeland Security have reached Supreme All Knowing status. :D

mayhem

Thanks pipz :D
to make things clearer regarding my inquiry..
In the project I involved with we used single core cable (for each phase R,S,T). But when we are terminating the cable to switchgear and transformer we are advised to used "Insulation Gland" at swithgear gland box and normal gland for transformer side. So iam curious regarding "Insulation gland Application"...
Please help..i try to search the web regarding this,but cant find an answer... refrence material will do.. thanks

mayhem

IWIRE :)
yup iam outside US.
iam in line with electrical works at refinery.
ill post some pic regarding my inquiry..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Bob,

The fitting in the foreground of your photo sure looks like a Meyers hub.

Trevor

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by infinity:
Bob,

The fitting in the foreground of your photo sure looks like a Meyers hub.

Trevor
It sure does, but I think that is what happens when sales people put together parts for an advertisement. :D

Then again maybe they call a Meyers hub a conduit gland? :confused:

Mayhem, pictures are always a help someone here will be able to help.

c-h

With only a little knowledge (a dangerous thing, I know...) I might add my 2 cents.

I can think of a couple of different reasons, apart from the obvious "this is the way we have always done it".

Are these single core cables shielded? If so, it could be that the designer don't want the earth from the transformer to be brought to the switchgear. By introducing a break in the earthing / grounding conductor and installing an ground rod instead you can overcome problems with stray currents. This requires the use of a GFCI / RCD. While this is not permitted by the US NEC it is under some European codes. Look up TN and TT earthing using Google or go to www.electrical-contractor.net/forum .

Another reason could be if the switchgear cabinet is made of steel. Bringing in the phases in different holes will introduce eddy currents in the steel. Perhaps this effect is reduced by using insulating cable glands? I'm sure the folks here can explain better than me why you shouldn't put the phases in separate metal conduits :)

Status
Not open for further replies.