insulation resistance test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cjmccarthy

Occupation
Project Coordinator FDOT
We have a locate wire that goes over the conduits when they are placed in the trench. The FDOT spec calls for an insulation resistance test to be done on the locate wire. from everything I've read, that can only be done with multiple wires. is that correct or can an insulation resistance test be done on 1 wire?

The spec for the wire is
630-2.2 Locate Wire: Ensure that locate wire is a single copper conductor with a
minimum gauge of No. 12 AWG. Ensure locate wire is insulated using a 45 mil minimum
thickness polyethylene sheath that is orange in color and marked to identify the manufacturer and
the conductor size.

and the spec that calls for the test is;
630-3.9.2 Fiber Optic Cable Locate Wire Testing: Test the locate wire system
after installation to ensure that it functions and can be used to accurately locate the conduit
system. Perform continuity tests and insulation resistance tests on all locate wires and provide
the Engineer with all test results. Replace, or repair defective locate wire at no additional cost.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If the locate wire is in the dirt just test from wire to earth ground. I would list the tester model and serial, calibration date, and test voltage.
Same on continuity tester. Model, serial cal date,
Then who performed test and date

Cjmccarthy

Occupation
Project Coordinator FDOT
If the locate wire is in the dirt just test from wire to earth ground. I would list the tester model and serial, calibration date, and test voltage.
Same on continuity tester. Model, serial cal date,
Then who performed test and date
sometimes the wire is direct bury in the dirt, other times it is in a separate conduit. Would you use a megger that can do High Voltage if it is direct bury?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would think a 500 volt megger would work for direct bury. In a conduit you may be testing to air so results would be questionable, but if conduit is full of water you are good for a test

Status
Not open for further replies.