Interested in becoming an electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonelectric

Over the last two years I have been in a electrical education program at my high school, and have always and continue to have an interest with the trade, and am interested becoming an electrician after school. Currently I am looking at a union apprenticeship, and am wondering what sort of requirements are needed, and what can help me stand out from the rest of the applicants. What sort of questions are asked durring the interviews ect.?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

[ August 18, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: bensonelectric ]

physis

Re: Interested in becoming an electrician.

I think the union just wants algebra and a driver's lisence. They make you go to school I think 3 nights a week. Start you out with a pretty reasonable entry level income. Structured raises every six months.

It's been a while since I've looked at it. I think it's pretty well geared towards a younger guy starting out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I would not limit myself to a union apprenticeship unless you want to work in a union shop.

If you want to do construction projects of any size you will need to be union because the federal government has all but made that the law, but for a lot of other things you might be interested in, it is not that important.

Of course you can always go from union to non-union, but you often cannot go back or go from non-union to union.

There are benefits to you going either way, some less obvious than others.

I suggest you seek out some union electricians and speak with them and a few non-union guys and speak to them about this issue, and than you can make an informed choice.

There are a few areas of the country where you really do not have a choice, it is union or nothing. If your area is that way, than the choice has been made for you.

<added> By the way, the union/non-union issue is a very touchy one with some people here. thats why I chose not to advocate one way or the other. it's best you do this kind of research yourself anyway, since it will affect the way you live the rest of your life.

One thing to check on is whether you will be able to transfer your union card from one area to another. i don't know how it is these days but it used to be a very painfull thing to do in some cases, and people trying to move into another local often found themselves unable to get employment for long periods of time. not a problem if you never want to move, or you are non-union.

[ August 18, 2005, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

rick hart

...and am wondering what sort of requirements are needed, and what can help me stand out from the rest of the applicants.
Pride in what you do.

The job you leave behind says it all.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

An obvious desire to learn is another key. You have made a good start, by joining this site. Welcome aboard, and best of luck to you.

volt101

I became interested in becoming an electrician when I put a 9 volt battery on my braces, between the upper and lower set. It gave me a feeling that I had never experienced before. As an electrician, 120,208,240,and 277 volts...Now, as an inspector and an instructor, I only get brain cramps, paper cuts, and headaches.

But to answer your question, dependability, reliable, mechanical knowledge, and willing to learn are things that employers need to hear from you. As far as electrical knowledge, you will learn that in the field.

Jim

Jim

macmikeman

If you visit here alot, and especially go to the nec forum and the engineering forum, you will learn a whole lot. It will also be a much faster method than the field way, but actual hands on in the field is also critical.

charlie k.

Matt, if you are interested in an apprenticeship with the union look them up in the phone book and call.They will be looking for good algebra skills. Fill out your application and wait for your interview. Dress properly for the interview, explain that you are looking for a career. Be prepared. Most IBEW apprenticeship training courses offer college credits that can be used after you graduate the program. It is a 5 year course. Some locals have done away with night classes, instead you go during the day 1 day every other week. You get a stipend for this as you will not be at work. The benefits will vary from local to local but look for paid health insurance, an excellent pension program along with an annuity plan. Life insurance and disability insurance along with great hourly wages.Check and see what other programs are offered by ABC and IEC and look at whats best for you.

Charlie

automaton

I am an union electrician specializing on the communications or low voltage side, or otherwise known as Voltage Impaired. The IBEW requires a High School education and indeed a strong understanding of Algebra, however it is more to make sure you arent a rock. Check this site out: http://www.njatc.org/journeyman.htm for Training questions and http://www.ibew.org/ for information about the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and Local Union Links. The first step is what you have already taken, Initiative. This site is one of the most valuable resources one could have at their finger tips.

charlie

As everyone knows, we prohibit the bashing of either union or non-union shops. I believe this is the first time where both have been mentioned and in civil terms where we didn't have to shut the thread down.

Indeed, both have there own good features and perks. If you are working for one, it is difficult to see the advantages of the other. Yes, the other is better in some respects than your own. Matt, your assignment is to find out what the differences are and determine how important they are to you. At that point, you can make an informed decision about the direction to take your life. :D

physis

As everyone knows, we prohibit the bashing of either union or non-union shops. I believe this is the first time where both have been mentioned and in civil terms where we didn't have to shut the thread down.
Now ya did it.
icon10.gif

[ August 20, 2005, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

charlie k.
It is a 5 year course. Some locals have done away with night classes, instead you go during the day 1 day every other week. You get a stipend for this as you will not be at work.
As you said you must check with the program in your area. We do the schooling as you stated, but there is no stipend. There are a few locals where you attend class full time without pay for about 3 months before going to work and getting your first pay check.
Our program also requires that you take some classes (15-18 semester hours, over the 5 years) at a local college so that you can get your associates degree in electrical construction technology. Unlike some locals this is not optional in our program. If you don't have your college classes completed when you finish our classes, you don't get your final pay raise. You are stuck at the 90% level until you complete the college classes.
Don

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
Our program also requires that you take some classes (15-18 semester hours, over the 5 years) at a local college so that you can get your associates degree in electrical construction technology.
Cool, I have never heard of such a course or requirement.

It sounds like a good idea and another way to sort out the people not committed to learning the trade. :)

cselectric

It sounds like you are on the right track, at least as far as ambition and thirst for knowledge are concerned. Those are the two things that will make or break you in this trade.

Beyond that, I see no reason not to shoot for a union apprenticeship. But, it would be wise to remember that there are a limited number of slots open in the JATC program in ecah local each year. You very well may not get accepted the first time you apply. My advise is to apply for apprenticeship, and also apply to some non union shops. That way, if you don't get accepted, you can still be working in the trade until next years application / selection process. It comes down to keeping your options open and doing what you need to to keep your hand in the game. and don't think working non-union will look bad when you apply at the union. FWIW, working at McDonalds, or in some factory watching parts fall out of a machine looks worse. If you're working non-union, no one can question your desire to be an electrician. :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by cselectric:
It comes down to keeping your options open and doing what you need to to keep your hand in the game. and don't think working non-union will look bad when you apply at the union. FWIW, working at McDonalds, or in some factory watching parts fall out of a machine looks worse. If you're working non-union, no one can question your desire to be an electrician. :)
That's an interesting opinion. I wonder if that is true everywhere. I went to HS with a guy whoes dad was an IBEW guy. He convinced his son not to take a summer job with a non-union GC as some kind of gofer because he feared it would blacklist him with the union and the kid would never get accepted into the union.

I think maybe some of that stuff has gone away over the years. All the apprentice programs are competing with each other for the shrinking pool of superior applicants.

The NY Ref

I am very happy I found this site and forum.

You guys really seem interested in helping out anyone who asks for info and that is irreplaceable.

I am retiring from my job in the next 10 months or so. I have always loved the field of Electronics and I have an A.A.S. in Computer Networking. I have already filled out my Union Apprenticeship App. and I am hoping to get picked up in Next August's (2006) class. The union office said they are short bodies and I shouldn't have a problem.

My question is, Does anyone know of any Audio CD's which spell out the NEC Code Book ? I have a long commute right now (plenty of time to listen), and I thought this would be a good way to start. I have seen CD's that explain the changes from 2002 to 2005, but not the whole book itself. If you could copy and paste a link to the site where I can find it that would be great.

Lastly, any specifically named books or manuals besides the NEC book itself that can start someone in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

[ August 20, 2005, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: The NY Ref ]

william runkle

Matt congratulations on being able to say you want to become an Electrician. Continue your schooling all math and science especially physics will be a plus. Just be prompted ask questions and be willing to work as much as possible as an apprenticeship in mosts areas takes 8000 hours and you can take a test to become a journeymen which should be one of your goals. Good luck and learn from your mistakes take your time it usually takes six years to become a Master Electrician but it will take 30 years to be able to Master the trade of Electricity.

james wuebker

Matt, I'm been an electrician for over 25 years & it's good to hear about someone that's still in school has made a positive choice about what he wants to do. Now, not sure where you live but where I started was in a small town in Iowa. Didn't have any type of union here. Had maybe 2 or 3 electrical company's in town so I went with the most popular firm. They did so much different types of work. You got to do it all. You weren't called a gopher because you were in the action all the time. Union or non-union I believe they all have programs now that you can learn from but the best learning experience was being in the field. The other members here also have great ideas to help you. I wish you well when you get there.
Jim W.
(Master) in Iowa

automaton

[/qb][/QUOTE]That's an interesting opinion. I wonder if that is true everywhere. I went to HS with a guy whoes dad was an IBEW guy. He convinced his son not to take a summer job with a non-union GC as some kind of gofer because he feared it would blacklist him with the union and the kid would never get accepted into the union.

I think maybe some of that stuff has gone away over the years. All the apprentice programs are competing with each other for the shrinking pool of superior applicants. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I was non-union prior to becoming union. I highly recommend doing this if you cant get in right away. More experience can never hurt. Ironically, if you could start out with a smaller company prior to getting in to an apprenticship program, it may be a very rewarding lesson. I learned alot when I worked non-union and it allowed me to start in at a decent level when I joined the union. You will probably get badgered a bit like I did and still do, but its all about learning and evolving.

cselectric

Originally posted by petersonra:
That's an interesting opinion. I wonder if that is true everywhere. I went to HS with a guy whoes dad was an IBEW guy. He convinced his son not to take a summer job with a non-union GC as some kind of gofer because he feared it would blacklist him with the union and the kid would never get accepted into the union.

I think maybe some of that stuff has gone away over the years. All the apprentice programs are competing with each other for the shrinking pool of superior applicants.
Perhaps things are different in different areas, or maybe the times have changed. But, it was the Business Manager / JATC coordinator of the IBEW local in my home county that gave me that advice, the first year I applied. His question to me was "why should we be interested in you when we've got guys applying this year that have 3-5 years experience woring non-union?"

Status
Not open for further replies.