Intermatic, no THHN/THWN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I'm reading the install/programing instructions for an ET9000 series timer. Note the min conductor insulation temp in the chart on the bottom left of the following.

Comments?

mgookin

Would you mind letting us know how much time you have in that installation by the time you're done with it?

And is your install new construction or upgrade of existing?

Thanks!

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Would you mind letting us know how much time you have in that installation by the time you're done with it?

And is your install new construction or upgrade of existing?

Thanks!

Will do, I'm doing two at the same time for the state. They will be slightly different as one is a small 6 chair dental suite and the other is 10K square of office.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Will do, I'm doing two at the same time for the state. They will be slightly different as one is a small 6 chair dental suite and the other is 10K square of office.

OK, possible dumb question; when the label on the device and the information in the installation manual are in conflict, which prevails?

mgookin

Read the post. Two different insulation temp requirements for field wiring as a specific example.

Maybe we're seeing different things. I'm seeing the temp on the label but not in the manual. Where in the manual does it have a temp rating?

Edit: Found it. Back to the question...

Last edited:

mgookin

They're either talking about 2 different things or one is a misprint. I can't tell which from here. I know that's a very expensive switch and for that money you'd hope they'd get it right. Made in Mexico!

Which do you follow? The safest one of course.

Jon456

This might help:

Southwire Type THHN or THWN-2* conductors are primarily used in conduit and cable trays for services, feeders, and branch circuits in commercial or industrial applications as specified in the National Electrical Code. When used as Type THHN, conductor is suitable for use in dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90?C. When used as Type THWN-2*, conductor is suitable for use in wet or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90?C or not to exceed 75?C when exposed to oil or coolant. # When used as Type MTW, conductor is suitable for use in wet locations or when exposed to oil or coolant at temperatures not to exceed 60?C or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90?C (with ampacity limited to that for 75?C conductor temperature per NFPA 79). Conductor temperatures not to exceed 105?C in dry locations when rated AWM and used as appliance wiring material. Voltage for all applications is 600 volts.

And this:

AWM cable is intended for internal wiring of factory-assembled, listed appliances suchas computers, business machines, ranges, washers, dryers, radios, and televisions. In some cases, AWM cable may be used for external connection.

fmtjfw

OK, possible dumb question; when the label on the device and the information in the installation manual are in conflict, which prevails?

I'd check to see if the two sources had different dates. It appears that the label is undated (date code probably about apparatus build date), so the next step would be to call the manufacturer.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm reading the install/programing instructions for an ET9000 series timer. Note the min conductor insulation temp in the chart on the bottom left of the following.
Comments?

The plot thickens, appears 105?C is only for 30A loads.
What the heck is going on? Did everybody leave the house and you're stuck there alone? Cable went out?

mgookin

I'd check to see if the two sources had different dates. It appears that the label is undated (date code probably about apparatus build date), so the next step would be to call the manufacturer.

I would guess that date code is the label revision date.

As a manufacturer we would not reprint that label for every date code or production run of a given product.

There are other ways to mark a product so the manufacturer knows the date of manufacture or lot number.

rlundsrud

whaaaa??????

whaaaa??????

Are we supposed to read those handouts/cut sheets?? I thought they were supposed to be used in the Porta john when there isn't any toilet paper. Live and learn I suppose.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.