Intermatic Photocell Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a client that had a few Intermatic photocells go bad after only a couple months, he thought maybe a surge or something knocked them out but wanted me to take a look at it to make sure, before he ordered a bunch more (in other words he's looking to find out if a surge fried the things or if they are junk before he orders more).

Tore the things open and the contacts on every single one that's bad look to be in excellent condition, not even any signs of arcing on the contacts. And the rest looks to be fine, as far as I can tell it operates on a bimetal strip that open and close the contacts? But the actual photocell is tied into some little green card laying against the bimetal strip?

Anyone know what this is? And is there a way to see if it's shot?

The photocells I'm investigating are turning on at night right when they should (and about two minutes after you tape 'em), but end up staying on 'till noon (or for a very long time after the tapes taken off), even when they are getting more then enough light to tell 'em to shut off. Every single one that I just replaced was apparently put in about 2 months ago and the wiring was correct (not to mention they still look brand new). And the one with the most load was only passing 3 amps through it. They all are operating CFL's.

Can anyone help me on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.