Internal Fuses in Fluorescent Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

twada

I have a question on Chicago Electrical Code. I know that this is for NEC code forum/post, but I wonder if there is anyone know Chicago Electrical Code.
I was told that if we are using other than 15A breakers, all fluorescent fixtures have to be furnished with internal ballast. I aslo checked both NEC and Chicago Electrical Code, and they only mentioned that the ballasts shall be furnished with thermal protection. Is internal fuses really requied in Chicago? Is anyone from Chicago?

russ

Re: Internal Fuses in Fluorescent Fixtures

It's a good design to have the fixtures with small amp fuses inside them, but I don't see where it would be a code requirement.

This code is the same as the 99 NEC, so if I'm missing something someone let me know.

18-27-402.5. Allowable Ampacities for Fixture Wires.
The ampacity of fixture wire shall be as specified in Table 18-27-402.5.
No conductor shall be used under such conditions that its operating temperature will exceed the temperature specified in Table 18-27-
402.3 for the type of insulation involved.
FPN: See Section 18-27-310.10 for temperature limitation of conductors.
Table 18-27-402.5. Allowable Ampacity for Fixture Wires
Size (AWG) Allowable Ampacity
18-------------6
16-------------8
14-------------17
12-------------23
10-------------28

18-27-240.4(b)(2)
(2) Fixture Wire. Fixture wire shall be permitted to be tapped to the branch-circuit conductor of a branch-circuit of Article 210
in accordance with the following:
20-ampere circuits ? No. 18, up to 50 ft (15.2 m) of run length
20-ampere circuits ? No. 16, up to 100 ft (30.5 m) of run length
20-ampere circuits ? No. 14 and larger
30-ampere circuits ? No. 14 and larger
40-ampere circuits ? No. 12 and larger
50-ampere circuits ? No. 12 and larger

18-27-240.10. Supplementary Overcurrent Protection.
Where supplementary overcurrent protection is used for lighting fixtures, appliances, and other equipment or for internal circuits and
components of equipment, it shall not be used as a substitute for branch-circuit overcurrent devices or in place of the branch-circuit
protection specified in Article 210. Supplementary overcurrent devices shall not be required to be readily accessible.

[ December 17, 2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

russ

18-27-210.23. Permissible Loads.
In no case shall the load exceed the branch-circuit ampere rating. An individual branch circuit shall be permitted to supply any load
for which it is rated. A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets or receptacles shall supply only the loads specified according to
its size in (a) through (d) of this section, and summarized in Section 18-27-210.24 and Table 18-27-210.24.
(a) 15- and 20-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply lighting units or other
utilization equipment, or a combination of both. The rating of any one cord- and plug-connected utilization equipment shall not
exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than lighting
fixtures, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord- and plug-connected utilization
equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.
Exception: The small appliances branch circuits, laundry branch circuits, and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling
unit(s) by Sections 18-27-210.11(c)(1), (2), and (3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets specified in that section.
(b) 30-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 30-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply fixed lighting units with heavy-duty
lampholders in other than a dwelling unit(s) or utilization equipment in any occupancy. A rating of any one cord- and plug-connected
utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
(c) 40- and 50-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 40- or 50-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply cooking appliances that are
fastened in place in any occupancy. In other than dwelling units, such circuits shall be permitted to supply fixed lighting units with
heavy-duty lampholders, infrared heating units, or other utilization equipment.
(d) Branch Circuits Larger than 50 Amperes. Branch circuits larger than 50 amperes shall supply only nonlighting outlet loads.

flightline

This was a requirement that was arcane to the old Chicago Electrical Code prior to it's being modeled after the NEC a few years ago. This requirement no longer exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.