International resedential code

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

Here in Michigan we use the Michigan residential code which is the IRC plus the Michigan energy code. There are some differences between the codes. Does anyone know of a code forum/books or a way I can learn more about the Electrical part of the IRC specifically. Who all uses the IRC for one and two family dwellings? Comments..

jes25

Re: International resedential code

I have heard otherwise from reliable sources and it does not say "follow the NEC", that I am aware of. Many of the code sections do appear to be exact but several sections the wording and layout is different at the least and why would we have such a book if it is the same.

mvannevel

You're right jes, it is basically the NEC (along with our Michigan amendments) and there are places where it does vary somewhat from the NEC. The first one that comes to mind is the requirement in 210.63 for heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment outlets. That's not included in the residential code. And the layout and numbering are, of course, different. There are some nice features including tables which show which wiring methods are allowed to be used in which locations. It is very similar, but there are some differences. The basic reasoning is to break the requirements for residential out and compile them in one location. I'm no big fan of this, but as you probably know, lots of the inspectors here (especially the ones who don't see much commercial and industrial in their areas) are big proponents of it. Why re-invent the wheel? We already have a perfectly good code, so why do this? I suspect it has something to do with the "I" in IRC. We seem to have this fascination with the idea of "International" standards. And if it's "International" it must be better because someone besides us (or U.S. to be more to the point) uses it. The best thing you can do is to get a copy of it and get familiar with it. There is a cross-reference in the back to help locate code sections. The numbering system is nothing like the NEC, so unless I'm asked to give the MRC sections, I usually write my corrections using the NEC. There are lots of electricians who don't have the MRC book and lots who don't even know we're using it. Myself, I used to keep my copy in the office, but lately I've been keeping it in the car. Just in case when I get to an inspection, theres a mud puddle I don't want to step in. Works REAL good for that.

Edited to correct spelling, punctuation, and who knows what else...And still I probably missed some.

[ September 08, 2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: mvannevel ]

charlie

Indiana also uses the IRC with amendments to make it the Indiana Residential Code. We have amended the sections in the IRC than conflict with the NEC so that they both agree. It doesn't matter which one you use since the electrical sections in the Indiana Residential Code match the Indiana Electrical Code. :D

mvannevel

Charlie, I remember when I was in the Indiana Chapter of the IAEI and there was talk of the state doing that. Didn't like the sound of it then either. At least you make it all the same as the NEC. But, then again, since it's all the same (with the state amendments, of course), why not just stick with the NEC? I hate to fix something when it ain't broke... But, since the state says we use it, we use it.

ryan_618

There are a couple of conflicts that I have noticed. For example, the IRC requires three way switching for stairs so that you can turn on/off the stair lighting "without traversing a stair", whatever that means. The NEC is more clear on this in 210.70 with the 6 riser rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.