Internship Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsurface

Hello again,

The school for which I teach wants to reach out to contractors and companies who would be interested in offering internships to students. They have asked if I can help gather a few companies which would be interested in hiring a few interns. Thus the reason why I started this thread. I figured starting a thread on this forum would be a good way to reach contractors. The school is based in Garden City, New York. Anyone interested please send me a private message or email. Thank you for any considerations.

tx2step

Re: Internship Question

It sounds like a great idea -- want to send some of them to Texas?

I'd call them "apprentices" not "interns". Time spent working as an apprentice would count toward obtaining a license. Time spent as an intern would count toward... ???

How old are they? If possible and legal in your area, they should be officially registered as apprentices, so their time spent will count.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Please help us understand. What type of school is this? When I hear the word ?intern,? I envision a college student looking for a summer job in the profession that he or she hopes to enter upon graduation. Quite often, a company that hires ?summer interns? will offer the students a permanent position, once they qualify for that position (i.e., by receiving the college degree). Is this the type of ?intern? position you are describing?

gsurface

Excuse the lack of information guys. Here is the link to the school's website (http://www.ccctraining.net/index.htm). It is a trade school. I will have to be a bit careful in using the term apprentice since according to the information which I have received they are only entitled to complete a 120 hour internship. The company is under no obligation to keep the student after those 120 hours have been completed. These 120 hours will count towards there completion of the technical program. The age range is from 20-40, but an average student age of about 25 I would say. Again, the internship is part of completion of the Electrical Technician Program, meaning that apart from the students completing the required classes, they will have to complete a 120 hour internship where they can be exposed to the electrical field. I really hope this helps. Thanks tx2step for the private message.

Status
Not open for further replies.