interpreting a code summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Existing maintenance building, being expanded to turn into a manufacturing building. Hazardous materials (Class I flammable liquid - styrene) will be in one area of the facility.

The Owner commissioned a fire protection & life safety code report. I'm meeting with the fire marshal, architect, Owner, and report's author tomorrow, and to prepare for the meeting I am today trying to wrap my head around the report and what I know of articles 500/501/502. If you have a minute to skim over this post and provide input it is appreciated.

The report states:
1. Facility shall be classified as an H-2 occupancy.
2. Explosion control not required.
3. 1 cfm of ventilation.
4. Standby/emergency power required for ventilation, alarm, detection, etc.
5. Standby power is NOT required for fail-safe engineered systems.
6. Classified electrical equipment is required in areas where flammable liquids are stored, handled, dispensed or mixed. Possible classified electrical locations include:
--a. Class 1 Div 1 within 3' of vent & fill openings
--b. C1D2 within 3-5' of vent & fill openings
--c. C1D2 within 5' of edge of any pumps etc; and up to 3' above floor and w/in 25 horizontally of the edge of such devices
--d. C1D1 throughout pits
--e. C1D1 within 5' of process equipment where flammable vapor/air mixtures could exist under normal operations
--f. C1D2 within 5-8' of process equipment where flammable vapor/air mixtures could exist under normal operations, and up to 3' above the floor within 5-25' horizontally from edge of such equipment.
7. Bonding of vessels containing class 1 liquids

The mechanical system is being reconfigured to provide 1 cfm continuously throughout the facility. Ventilation openings are within 12" of finished floor. We are adding an emergency generator to back up the critical HVAC (and fire alarm panel). There is a trench drain but no pits requiring electrical.

We have the understanding that there is only one pump & tank that contains styrene, and although it is on wheels it will be confined to a fairly small area at the head of an assembly line. We propose keeping all electrical out of this area with the exception of what is necessary to feed this and related assembly line equipment. The connection to the styrene equipment will be by drop cord, I assume it should be C1D1 and include a ground (which I assume takes care of the bonding requirement). There are a few other pieces of equipment requiring electrical connections in the general vicinity of this, I plan to note them as C1D1 as we do not know the precise location of the styrene at all times. The rest of the facility we will not do anything abnormal - standard GFI, 18" or higher.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Anything I am missing or should be asking?

EDIT: There are a couple motorized overhead doors over this area. My reading of the code summary is the door motors can be standard wiring, as can the wall-mounted controllers, provided they are over 36" AFF. Ditto the lights.

Last edited:

dicklaxt

Right off the top of my head with out looking it up in a code digest which I don't have anyway,I don't believe cable is not allowed in Class1,Div1 areas unless its metal clad with exp.proof connectors.

Styrene is Class 1(if a Gas vapor) and depending on its presence during normal operation will dictate Div 1 or 2,if its totally contained then it should be Div 2. I don't recall what Group it is but think its D,,,You really need a Code Review Doc or some call them a Digest,

BTW Styrene can also be Class ll, Group G, dust atmosphere I think.

Sorry I guess I wasn't much help.

dick

malachi constant

That's kind of what I thought. But the styrene tank-on-wheels (that they currently use in a different building and are going to relocate here) has a standard cord and plug. I'm guessing they may have issues reusing some of this equipment without making modifications.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it.

I don't know if you paraphrased or not, but I suggest the range clauses be changed from "within" to "from-to" statements. For example "--b. C1D2 within 3-5' of vent & fill openings" should be "--b. C1D2 from 3 to 5' of vent & fill openings".

Also, the "up to 3' above the floor" limit is fine for anything not within the 5' radius bubble, or directly below the bubble if greater than 3' above the floor. That is, any portion of the bubble or the cylindrical volume directly below above 3' is still classified. As the statement is currently worded, it can be interpreted as nothing above 3' is classified.

I'm not familiar with hazardous area ventilation requirements, but I do know 1 cfm isn't very much... unless that is taken to mean 1 cfm per sqf/cf of hazardous area...???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That's kind of what I thought. But the styrene tank-on-wheels (that they currently use in a different building and are going to relocate here) has a standard cord and plug. I'm guessing they may have issues reusing some of this equipment without making modifications.
Flexible cord is a permitted wiring method in hazardous areas (provisional, of course). See 501.10(A)(2) & (B)(2)(5) for starters...

bobgorno

It looks like your code summary report carries a lot of minimum requirements. Although you have presented lot of information, the there is noway to accurately comment without knowing or seeing more about the facility and process.

For example, Item #2, Explosion control not req'd. Assuming they mean the building does not need blow out walls or other explosion protection per NFPA 69. Be careful here.

The EAC extents seem to lead one to believe the relative magnitude is small/low.

The styrene "tank" is an atmospheric vessel or pressure vessel? How are you accomplishing the venting? Reliefs sized for fire case?

You may need more ventilation than the 1cfm per sq ft of floor space. Make sure you consider personnel protection. The IDLH of styrene is 700ppm (that's less than 10% of the LEL). The TWA is 100ppm. The odor threshold is 0.1 ppm.

There is likely more design to this project than a typical facilities engineer or operations supervisor is qualified to execute. Recommend using your life safety expert to take this a step further and assist in the design.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note that the equipment ground does not take care of "bonding of vessels", etc

Status
Not open for further replies.