Interpreting the ampacity tables 310.16(B)(16) and 310.15(B)(2)(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulWDent

I post this because it was a subject of great debate and confusion in a NABCEP class I took recently.

Below is my understanding of how the ampacity tables should really be used.

We all know that THHN and THWN-2, commonly used for PV wiring, can be allowed to run up to 90degC. Their insulation is chosen so that it doesn't melt or degrade at that temperature. If we want to know how much current it takes for the wire to reach its temperature limit, this is what table 310.15(B)(16) tells us. For example, look up 10AWG, and you will see that it takes 40 amps to raise it to 90C, starting at 30C ambient , which is what the whole table is based on.

Point 1: Starting at 30C ambient, Any 10AWG wire will get up to 90C with this same 40A current;
but you can't let that happen to THW for example, or it will melt.

THW has to be kept below 75degC. The current required to raise 10AWG to 75degC is, from the table, 35 amps, so that is the limit for THW

Point 2: Any 10AWG wire will rise from a 30degC ambient to 75degC with 35 amps going through it. THHN too, which is very happy at 75C
where it well within its design limit.

Is there any time we would not want to let THHN rise as far as its insulation limit of 90C?
Yes - when it is attached to a terminal that can only stand 75degC.

Article 110.14(C) says that the wire may not exceed the terminal temperature. So even if it's THHN, if it is attached to a 75degC terminal,
you cannot let it rise above 75C. To find the current that would raise the temperature to 75degC, you look in the 75degC column of
table 310.15(B)(16); this says 35 amps for 10AWG , if we are starting with a 30degC ambient.

Now, if the ambient starts out higher than 30C, it will take less current to raise the temperature to 75C.

In fact, if we start with an ambient of 74degC, we are not going to be able to put squat through the wire without raising the temperature above the terminal temperature and violating 110.14(C).

So we know that the derating for higher ambients, which is the purpose of table 310.15(B)(2)(A) must take the allowed current down to zero as the ambient approaches the allowed temperature. The allowed temperature is the LOWER of the wire insulation temperature rating and the terminal temperature rating. If the wire alone could be allowed to reach 90 degrees, but the allowed terminal temperature is 75 degrees, then the allowed temperature is 75 degrees ( 110.14(C) )

Looking in the 75degC column of table 310.15(B)(2)(A) we see that the current is indeed derated to zero when ambient is in the range 71-75degC. Therefore this is the column we have to use to keep the wire temeprature below 75.

There have been suggestions that you can take the ampacity from the 75 degC column of table 310.15(B)(16) and then take the derating for ambient from the 90degC column of table 310.15(B(2)(A), but this is quite wrong. You can see this if you look at the derating factor in the 90 degree column for an ambient of 75. The derating factor is 0.5 there, which means that if you used this column, it is saying you can STILL put 50% of the 310.15(B)(16) current through the wire, even when the ambient is already 75! Clearly this is wrong, because the wire would rise way over 75degC and thus violate 110.14(C).

So, it is important to use the same temperature column in table 310.15(B)(2)(A) as used in 310.15(B)(16) during the same ampacity
calculation.

I can see where the confusion arises, as the columns are headed "Tempeature rating of the conductor" which is 90C for THHN, right?
Well, only if not limited by something else, i.e. the terminals.

It may help to the think of "temperature rating of the conductor" as meaning "How hot can we let it get?" , not "what is the wire's design limit"

So the temperature rating of THHN, at the point it connects to a 75 degC terminal, is only 75 degC, not 90 degC.

Of course away from the terminal, a foot or so down the conduit, 90 degrees is fine for THHN. So when doing the ampacity calculations for wire remote from the terminals by even just a few inches, it is OK to use the wire temperature rating un-limited by the terminal temperature.

iMuse97

I never understood the 310 ampacity tables columns to be temperature rise columns, in the sense that a forty ampere load at 30deg.C ambient would raise the temperature of the conductor to 90degC, as the OP mentions.

I still don't. My experience teaches me otherwise. I have not seen it.

Nor, as I see it, will a 90degC conductor temperature on a THW cause it to melt. It will cause general degradation of the insulative capacity until the rubber compounds are baked. I have seen this. :)

Last edited:

Marvin_Hamon

Article 110.14(C) says that the wire may not exceed the terminal temperature. So even if it's THHN, if it is attached to a 75degC terminal,
you cannot let it rise above 75C. To find the current that would raise the temperature to 75degC, you look in the 75degC column of
table 310.15(B)(16); this says 35 amps for 10AWG , if we are starting with a 30degC ambient.

Actually the NEC provides no method for implementing 110.14(C), it just says it needs to be done. Some people are using the method you describe, using the column for the terminal temperature and table 310.15(B)(16), but as far as I can tell no one can say why they use this method other than to say they heard of it from someone else. I have yet to find anyone who can site an authoritative source for doing the terminal temperature derating this way. The closest I have got is talking to someone well placed in the industry who said he had talked to someone who said that derating the conductor for terminal temperature was so involved that there was no way to describe the procedure in the NEC and have the average user apply it.

One thing I can say is that I have heard that the method you describe is not attempting to keep the conductor temperature below the terminal temperature. It is attempting to lower the resistance of the connection in the terminal by increasing the conductor size which increases the contact area in the terminal lowering the resistance and lowering the heating due to that resistance. If current increases then the contact area needs to increase and that is done by increasing the conductor size. While the method uses the tables it does so in a non-intuitive manor so trying to relate it to the conductor temperature rise would not be the correct model.

This is just one of the strange NEC mystery requirements. So, much like choosing your source for temperature data to size PV strings you can do terminal temperature derating anyway you want. I tend to use a method similar to what you describe because I think I should at least be doing something. From what I have seen in the industry most people ignore the requirement, both designers and AHJs. The Photovoltaic Systems textbook used for many PV classes does not address terminal temperature at all. If you want to pass the NABCEP you need to know how the test writers think it should be done and without a standard good luck with that.

Last edited:

Marvin_Hamon

Here is how I do it.

Say I have a 75?C terminal rating and a 90?C rated conductor. Starting with a #1/0 conductor using table 310.15(B)(16) I get the ampacity for this conductor at 30?C from the 75?C column, which is 150A. I then derate this for continuous current for the inverter output which is 150/1.25 = 120A. So if my inverter current is 120A or less I am good with the terminal temperature.

Now when I derate this conductor for conditions of use I use the 90?C data from the table with the 90?C temperature derating data. You will notice that conditions of use, like ambient temperature, do not factor into the terminal temperature calculations. Why not you might ask? Because that's the way I learned how to do it from someone else and there is no standard in the NEC. Is my way right or wrong? I'm sure that there are better ways of calculating terminal temperatures somewhere but I have not seen them. Some of the alternate calculations I have seen that factor in ambient temperature have the effect dominating the conductor sizing calculation and rendering the use of conductor with a higher temperature rating moot. This usually results in having to use conductor several sizes larger just to satisfy a 1 inch piece of conductor in a terminal.

I'm open to ideas on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.