Interpreting230.71 Max Number of Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
I have new construction project and just received IFC's and started construction Monday.
The prints show
1-400 amp Switchboard Supplied by utilities feeding our main
1-Main 400amp going to a distribution block then out of the distribution block
4- Pump Panel disconnects
1- Mini load center
1-Compressor Motor Disconnect panel
1-Cooler Motor Disconnect panel
1- Oil Make up Disconnect Panel
1-air compressor disconnect
1-water chiller disconnect
This would total 10 separate disconnecting means after the main
I believe this violates the MAX Number of Disconnects, or Am i misunderstanding the definitions of disconnecting means

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
What you call a Main 400 Amp is the service disconnect. Terms are important. See article 100 definition of Disconnecting Means and Main.
Then review 230.70 (A) and (B).
230.90 is not applicable to your question

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
I cannot find any definition for Main in Article 100, also what would the switch gear be considered in this situation, since it is the primary OCPD after the utility transformer

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
Any of those disconnect panels that are connected AFTER (Load side of) a Main are not considered Service Disconnects.
230.71 does not specify that the disconnect has to be a service disconnect. "There shall not be more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location."

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
230.71 does not specify that the disconnect has to be a service disconnect. "There shall not be more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location."

230.71 is in Part VI of of the article for services. It only applies to service disconnecting means.

Part VI. Service Equipment — Disconnecting Means
230.70 General.
Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the service entrance conductors.

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
230.71 is in Part VI of of the article for services. It only applies to service disconnecting means.

Part VI. Service Equipment — Disconnecting Means
230.70 General.
Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the service entrance conductors.
Sometimes the dots are already connected..Thank you, this just means if i have seven homes i can put six on one service and the seventh a second service.

I recl
Just pondering. When we buy a panel, it comes with a MAIN or SERVICE label, but main is not an NEC term. Does anyone have knowledge of UL requirements?

I recall usually seeing both a "main" label and a "service disconnect" label (usually a sticker). Then sometimes there is a "suitable for use as service equipment" which will typically be factory applied

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does this main de-energize everything else (excluding fire stuff)?

How many "throws of the hand" does it take to turn off all power?
This is the operative issue. It stems from the idea that when a firefighter arrives on the scene and needs to kill all power at the site, they can do so by moving their hand no more than 6 times. If the “main” kills all power to everything down stream, the rule is satisfied.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
You just answered your own question. The others would just be disconnects for the individual loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.