Intersystem Bonding Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Per article 100, the intersystem bonding terminal is only for communication systems. What harm would there be if the Gastite bond wire was landed to it? It is very convenient for doing so given the usual close proximity of the gas meter and bonding terminal.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Most interesting question !
First read of 250.94 would seem to allow it, but I will want to read further.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
For some reason the CMP seems to think that this should not be allowed. In the 2014 edition the wording of the definition was changed ever so slightly in order to prevent this.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Some have been allowed here to extend the GEC on service changes by using the ISB as a splice point.
One POCO will not allow GEC to land in the meter base, it has to go to the weatherhead and crimped to the neutral. So if the mast/riser has to be raised to comply with their height requirements, the GEC is often times too short to reach. So the AHJ allowed the bonding bridge to be used to lengthen the GEC.

RICK NAPIER

"For some reason the CMP seems to think that this should not be allowed. In the 2014 edition the wording of the definition was changed ever so slightly in order to prevent this."

I don't see it that way if you look at the new definition and considering the permissive nature of the code I would say nothing prohibits it unless the manufacturer does and I haven't seen that yet. The definition does not limit it to only communication systems.

Intersystem Bonding Termination.​
A device that provides a means for connecting intersystem bonding conductors for communications systems to the grounding electrode
system.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
After reading 250.94--Even though 110 says communication systems article 250.94 does not specify a particular system-- just other systems -- My belief is that the ISB was/is provided for all other systems to have a convenient and safe place to connect their bonds to

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You cannot have rules in definitions so you don't look to the definitions for the answer.
It is my opinion that the CSST bonding conductor, even though not required by the NEC, is covered by the rules in 250.104(B). The section specifies 5 locations were the piping bonding conductor is to be connected. The intersystem bonding point is not on that list.

fmtjfw

You cannot have rules in definitions so you don't look to the definitions for the answer.
It is my opinion that the CSST bonding conductor, even though not required by the NEC, is covered by the rules in 250.104(B). The section specifies 5 locations were the piping bonding conductor is to be connected. The intersystem bonding point is not on that list.

Should I read that list to state that the piping is to be directly bonded to anything in the list, or can it be connected indirectly to anything in the list. It certainly does not come under the no splices unless irreversible rule does it?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Should I read that list to state that the piping is to be directly bonded to anything in the list, or can it be connected indirectly to anything in the list. It certainly does not come under the no splices unless irreversible rule does it?
In my opinion the bonding conductor must be directly connected to one of the 5 list items.

RICK NAPIER

While it is true that rules are not found in definition there limitations found there for example under "In sight from" besides the requirements of 250.104 are generally all ready met and the requirements for CSST bonding is beyond the scope or intent of 250.104 and would only be prevented from utilizing the intersystem bonding termination if specificaly prohibited by the NEC or the manufacturer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
FWIW:
NFPA 54: Section 7.13.2 code states: ?CSST gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper shall not be smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.?

An acquaintance of mine on one of the CMPs states that he knows of proposals to
address restrictions on ISBT terminations for '17. Whether they will be accepted or not remains to be seen.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
FWIW:
NFPA 54: Section 7.13.2 code states: ?CSST gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper shall not be smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.?

An acquaintance of mine on one of the CMPs states that he knows of proposals to
address restrictions on ISBT terminations for '17. Whether they will be accepted or not remains to be seen.
In my opinion the only things that are part of a "grounding electrode system" are the grounding electrodes themselves.

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion the only things that are part of a "grounding electrode system" are the grounding electrodes themselves.

I cant see how one or more individual pieces make a system. In my opinion the GES includes the electrode(s), grounding electrode conductor(s) and bonding jumper(s) if used. It might even include the neutral terminal bar if more than one GEC is run back to it.

250.50 Grounding Electrode System. All grounding electrodes
as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are
present at each building or structure served shall be bonded
together to form the grounding electrode system

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

I think I agree to a point. I would say that any bonding jumpers used between electrodes are part of the system. But I think you are correct that the GEC itself is not. I'm thinking of 250.50.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
OK, so lets say that I can't terminate the Gastite bonding conductor to the Intersystem bonding terminal. What prohibits me from tapping the #6 before it lands on the IBT and running it out to the gas meter? It's all interconnected anyway be it the Gastite, Communication System, the entire grounding electrode system. As long as the proper size conductor is used, I don't see any negative effect.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
OK, so lets say that I can't terminate the Gastite bonding conductor to the Intersystem bonding terminal. What prohibits me from tapping the #6 before it lands on the IBT and running it out to the gas meter? It's all interconnected anyway be it the Gastite, Communication System, the entire grounding electrode system. As long as the proper size conductor is used, I don't see any negative effect.
I don't think it really matters where the connection is being made (other than the code rules), but since it really is a lightning protection conductor, it should be as short as possible and terminate as close as possible to a grounding electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.