Intersystem Bonding Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

The phone company wants me to install a Intersystem Bonding Terminal (IBT) on a existing building. The buildings meter and service disconnect are located a distance from the structure. The electrical panel is located in one corner and where the Telephone company has there box located is in the opposite corner. Half way between the two is a #6 cu wire that comes outside and connects to the Gastight piping for bonding. There is enough wire outside that I could run the number six through my IBT unspliced before it hits the lug for the gastite piping. Is the acceptable to the code.

arnettda

Even if I make the connection myself can I connect the BIT to the CU wire that goes to the gaslight bonding?

Give me your thoughts on this.
I live in Wi and we have the department of saftey and professional services I exchanged emails with them today, he is not a actual state inspector but a designer engineering consultant. He says the IBT needs to be connected to the grounding electrode conductor. The wire that runs to the gastight line would be considered a bonding jumper which then would not make it a legal installation. I read something to that point in the NEC handbook.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
NEC 250.94 (A) (4) indicates the IBT needs to be “at the service equipment...”, or (5) “at the disconnecting means...” Both include “...be connected to the enclosure or to the grounding electrode conductor with a minimum of 6 AWG copper conductor.”

Key word being “or”. My opinion counts for squat if your AHJ says otherwise. Call him/her.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Give me your thoughts on this.
I live in Wi and we have the department of saftey and professional services I exchanged emails with them today, he is not a actual state inspector but a designer engineering consultant. He says the IBT needs to be connected to the grounding electrode conductor. The wire that runs to the gastight line would be considered a bonding jumper which then would not make it a legal installation. I read something to that point in the NEC handbook.

If the person in question works for the department of safety and professional services as an engineering consultant/electrical systems, that is a state electrical inspector.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
It seems to me that connecting the intersystem bonding terminal to the gas pipe bond would NOT be permitted. The section on IBTs, 250.94 (2011), lists service equipment, service raceways, building disconnects, and the grounding electrode conductor as points of connection.

250.52(B) says metal underground gas piping systems are NOT permitted to be grounding electrodes.

Yes, gas pipe gets bonded these days because of manufacturer's instructions and other NFPA guidelines, but the gas pipe and the bonding jumper to it are not part of the grounding electrode system or conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.