Intersystem bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have intersystem bonding termination which is connected inside to the neutral bar of the main service disconnect with #4 AWG conductor. The neutral bar is connected to the main service disconnect enclosure, has main bonding jumper which connects to the equipment grounding bus bar. The main service grounding electrode system is also connected to neutral bar.

I understand 250.94 says various locations but I am confused one of them is service equipment but not sure what that implies I.e inside the service equipment any bars or equipment itself etc. Can intersystem bonding termination be connected to neutral bar of service disconnect?

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have intersystem bonding termination which is connected inside to the neutral bar of the main service disconnect with #4 AWG conductor. The neutral bar is connected to the main service disconnect enclosure, has main bonding jumper which connects to the equipment grounding bus bar. The main service grounding electrode system is also connected to neutral bar.

I understand 250.94 says various locations but I am confused one of them is service equipment but not sure what that implies I.e inside the service equipment any bars or equipment itself etc. Can intersystem bonding termination be connected to neutral bar of service disconnect?

I tried searching own my own but I was not able to find anything. It’s confuse should conductor from intersystem bonding go to neutral bar which is bonded to the service equipment enclosure and has grounding electrode conductor? I am really stuck on this one. Sorry for my ignorance. Where is my buddy Electrofelon?

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I have intersystem bonding termination which is connected inside to the neutral bar of the main service disconnect
From what I understand the purpose of an intersystem bond is more so for data - signal protection allowing for the ease of a low voltage tech or similar to easily ground their low volt systems preferably near their equipment splices terminations etc .., The bonding can originate from the electrical service neutral/ground bar but I'd think it would make more sense keeping the data folks out of our panels by giving them our ground reference near their needed termination spaces.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
From what I understand the purpose of an intersystem bond is more so for data - signal protection allowing for the ease of a low voltage tech or similar to easily ground their low volt systems preferably near their equipment splices terminations etc .., The bonding can originate from the electrical service neutral/ground bar but I'd think it would make more sense keeping the data folks out of our panels by giving them our ground reference near their needed termination spaces.

Don’t follow. Intersystem bond termination is outside but the conductor that bonds goes from the termination to the neutral bar inside service disconnect.

I would assume the low voltage tech would just bond at the termination outside service disco? They don’t go inside and bond the wire from termination to neutral bar or do they?

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
just says to bond at service or meter enclosure, grounding electrode conductor
Those I'm pretty sure are the accepted points of origin, then the other end ( load side) is the intersystem which basically is a ground bar with 3 or more set screw termination points, that's were a telephone ground could go or a cable ground or even a fiber optic ground. I got called on having to install one during a panel upgrade, the inspector said I needed to provide a intersystem bond just because he wanted it, He approved my method of ground clamping off a ufer to the intersystem hardware located in the telephone enclosure.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Those I'm pretty sure are the accepted points of origin, then the other end ( load side) is the intersystem which basically is a ground bar with 3 or more set screw termination points, that's were a telephone ground could go or a cable ground or even a fiber optic ground. I got called on having to install one during a panel upgrade, the inspector said I needed to provide a intersystem bond just because he wanted it, He approved my method of ground clamping off a ufer to the intersystem hardware located in the telephone enclosure.

Ufer that grounding electrode. Acceptable point is grounding electrode conductor not grounding electrode?

Since you got call from your profile you are electrician. The low voltage tech guy didn’t install or touch the other end termination. The low voltage guy did not install the other end of the termination so low voltage guy would not touch neutral bar inside service disco an electrician would. Why would NEC 2014 say to bond at service, meter enclosure or grounding electrode conductor and not the neutral bar inside service disco it would be installed by electrician no?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Don’t follow. Intersystem bond termination is outside but the conductor that bonds goes from the termination to the neutral bar inside service disconnect.
Correct.
I would assume the low voltage tech would just bond at the termination outside service disco?
Correct again.
They don’t go inside and bond the wire from termination to neutral bar or do they?
No, they don't. That would make about as much sense as peeling a banana and eating the peel.

Status
Not open for further replies.