Interview Qualified???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

I was involved with hiring plant electricians for a good while. I'd always give them a set of prints, ladder diagrams, etc., and point to things. I'd have them identify what the items were that I pointed at. I'd also pick a certain motor or certain device and say it wasn't running, and by having them look at the prints, give me a couple things they'd check first. I'd generally have them draw out a 3-wire stop/start circuit. I always asked what should be simple stuff like, how do you reverse the rotation of a 3-phase motor, and I'd ask them to calculate the wattage of a 5000 watt 240 volt heating element connected to 208. If that all went okay, I'd throw them some ladder logic PLC printouts and ask a few questions off that. If a guy aces that stuff, he should work out okay as a plant electrician. Let the regular HR people figure out if he's a good fit for the company and if he's likely to show up for work every day, etc.

e57

weressl said:
Get real, the guy is not employed by your Company.

Who would pay his insurance if he gets injured while doing what you asked from him?
A guy I worked for years ago did something similar - a written test and a simple test of bending skills - certainly weeded out the weak IMO - And since you could do all of it unenergized with simple hand tools. and none of the product is salable he would nor need be employed - just a simple test....

mdshunk said:
I was involved with hiring plant electricians for a good while. I'd always give them a set of prints, ladder diagrams, etc., and point to things. I'd have them identify what the items were that I pointed at. I'd also pick a certain motor or certain device and say it wasn't running, and by having them look at the prints, give me a couple things they'd check first. I'd generally have them draw out a 3-wire stop/start circuit. I always asked what should be simple stuff like, how do you reverse the rotation of a 3-phase motor, and I'd ask them to calculate the wattage of a 5000 watt 240 volt heating element connected to 208. If that all went okay, I'd throw them some ladder logic PLC printouts and ask a few questions off that. If a guy aces that stuff, he should work out okay as a plant electrician. Let the regular HR people figure out if he's a good fit for the company and if he's likely to show up for work every day, etc.
You would get me on that ladder logic/plc stuff. I hadn't work with that much lol. But hey, i got GREAT personality, and have been known to 'sing and dance' and tell a joke a 2!! Would that help??

jrannis

The job description would be helpful to answer the question.
You have to consider the duties and the plant condition.
Is it clean or dirty?
Loud? Dusty?
PLCs?
Heights?
Existing crew? How many?
Manager, working manager or lead guy?
Nights? Weekends?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've set on many oral boards.

Keep the questions simple, you'ld be surprised how much you can find out.

A. You walk into the office and two bulbs are out in a flouresent fixture. How would you go about finding out what's wrong? Check to make sure swithc is on, replace bulbs, check voltage at fixture. Some guys nail this and some guys make it the most complicated event you have ever heard.

B. How do you check voltage on a three phase system?

C. What is a GFCI and what does it do?

D. Hand them a set of prints and ask them to trace a circuit.

E. What is a common sign that you have a bad neutral? A bad hot leg?

Remember KISS.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Strahan said:
Of course the obvious questions are on the list experience, education, willing to learn etc.. The company will give a 6 week training period for a new hire which is only to accompany themselves with the surroundings where things are located etc... This is a very fast paced plant when lines breakdown there is alot of pressure to get them running again. You can ask someone how they perform under pressure but until they have the oppurtunity to prove it you really don't know. I know there is nothing I could throw at someone that would answer all the questions it comes down to proving themselves. I'm just looking for something that when the interview is over I can feel good about my part. The management team will make the ultimate choice but my influence will play a great part in that choice.

1-If management is not qualified to know who qualifies as a plant electrician, then there is or was a breakdown in the management structure.

2-No one qualified to properly judge a new hire (plant master electrician) tells me there is no future for anyone you;d hire anyway.

3-To judge an applicant under pressure, during the interview simulate a plant blackout. See how long it takes the applicant to offer help, and restore power...

Strahan

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
1-If management is not qualified to know who qualifies as a plant electrician, then there is or was a breakdown in the management structure.

2-No one qualified to properly judge a new hire (plant master electrician) tells me there is no future for anyone you;d hire anyway.

3-To judge an applicant under pressure, during the interview simulate a plant blackout. See how long it takes the applicant to offer help, and restore power...

1. Yes I agree there is a huge breakdown in the management structure. Almost every big factory I have worked out there were not more than one manager qualified as an electrician and here at this one there is none. They strictly "manage our time" and we run the show.
2. My group is very qualified some of the best in the business the problem is we are union management is not and I don't think I have to ellaborate.
3. My question was simply to get ideas to see what was approprieate and what was not. My group leader had to travel to another one of our sister plants to assist with start up because they have nobody with the skills in PLC's we have and he is senior man so he goes. He simply asked me to take over the interview process which I have not done before and yes I can make this interview last hours and lay it all on this poor guy but I don't think that is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.