Intrinsically XP C1 D2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azeotrope

Folks,

I have read many of the posts here on installation in C1 D2 areas. It seems beat to death still, I am a bit confused.

Scenario

I have a pressure reactor in a C1-D2 area. The reactor system is down for extended maintenance and want to make some changes in the process instruments.

I want to install a 24v pressure transducer 4-20 output and wire it to a PLC (the plc and Hmi are in a non-classified area)

I have transducers in stock that are not rated. I generally wire these to two conductor shielded cable in non classified areas

Can these transducers be used? If so what are the isolation requirements between the areas?
If I get IS transducers does anything change re barrier requirements conduit sealing etc?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Folks,

I have read many of the posts here on installation in C1 D2 areas. It seems beat to death still, I am a bit confused.

Scenario

I have a pressure reactor in a C1-D2 area. The reactor system is down for extended maintenance and want to make some changes in the process instruments.

I want to install a 24v pressure transducer 4-20 output and wire it to a PLC (the plc and Hmi are in a non-classified area)

I have transducers in stock that are not rated. I generally wire these to two conductor shielded cable in non classified areas

Can these transducers be used? If so what are the isolation requirements between the areas?
If I get IS transducers does anything change re barrier requirements conduit sealing etc?
Make/model of pressure transmitter?

If you get IS-rated transmitters you can use any wiring method acceptable for non-classified areas... however, there's a fair to excellent chance you will also have to install IS barriers outside the classified area. IS barriers can also be in the classified area, but then you'll have to use classified wiring method to and need a rated enclosure for the IS-barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.