Invasive procedure

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have invasive procedure where space is basic care space. It is used for skin penetrations by IV needle for purposes of IV infusion of fluids, nutrients and or medications. This is no anesthetic agent in any rooms of this project.

My question is what would I need in terms of NEC 2017 Article 517 invasive procedure? I dont see any requirements for the invasive procedure in the NEC 2017?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It should actually be "General Care Area" and all of the applicable sections of Part II of 517 are required.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Health care facility governing body makes the determination call on fit to 517 requirements or not. Look at definitions in NEC. Not all helth care facilities fall within the scope of article 517. informational note: The NEC does not designate the type of facility or level of care provided. The governing body of the facility determines the type of services being provided at a facility. For example, depending on the jurisdiction, a chiropractic office might or might not be a facility covered under Article 517.
Article 100 Definition:
Health Care Facility’s Governing Body.
The person or persons who have the overall legal responsibility for the operation of a health care facility. [99:3.3.74] (517) (CMP-15)

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Health care facility governing body makes the determination call on fit to 517 requirements or not. Look at definitions in NEC. Not all helth care facilities fall within the scope of article 517. informational note: The NEC does not designate the type of facility or level of care provided. The governing body of the facility determines the type of services being provided at a facility. For example, depending on the jurisdiction, a chiropractic office might or might not be a facility covered under Article 517.
Article 100 Definition:
Health Care Facility’s Governing Body.
The person or persons who have the overall legal responsibility for the operation of a health care facility. [99:3.3.74] (517) (CMP-15)

In my case the basic care is provided by the governing body and so is invasive procedure post #1.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I dont follow this is outpatient infusion center see below link

I dont see what general care definition NEC 2017 Article 517.2 has to do with invasive procedure?
You didn't say what kind of facility but it doesn't really matter, you indicated that it was under 517 and if it is there is no "basic care area" however there are Critical Care and General Care areas. If it is under 517Part II is applicable. With that said I've seen invasive procedures in a shop warehouse.