Inverter below Main Service Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee

I 'd like to mount an SMA SB7.7-40 TL on the exterior wall. It could fit under the MSP. There is a height of 50" there from wood landing up to bottom of MSP.
Any issues, min. required dc disco height, code issues with both MSP and Inverter, etc?

Frankly I am a bit concerned about ventilation at top of inv. also.

21" wide x 28.5" tall x 8" deep.

Carultch

I 'd like to mount an SMA SB7.7-40 TL on the exterior wall. It could fit under the MSP. There is a height of 50" there from wood landing up to bottom of MSP.
Any issues, min. required dc disco height, code issues with both MSP and Inverter, etc?

Frankly I am a bit concerned about ventilation at top of inv. also.

21" wide x 28.5" tall x 8" deep.

What does the manual specify for the clearance above the top?

pv_n00b

The NEC section that relates to this is 110.26(A)(3) Height of working space. Generally mixing of equipment that is related is fine, the only thing to look out for is the relative extension out from the wall of the equipment but that would not usually be a problem here.

Zee

The NEC section that relates to this is 110.26(A)(3) Height of working space. Generally mixing of equipment that is related is fine, the only thing to look out for is the relative extension out from the wall of the equipment but that would not usually be a problem here.

Thank you. I'll ensure inverter has adequate ventilation.

Is there a minimum height on wall requirement for locating an inverter and also a DC Disconnect?
I was told once that DC Disco must be 3 feet off ground.....

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
To my knowledge there is no minimum height requirement for switches or other equipment in the NEC (DC, AC, or otherwise). I always found that interesting.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Manufacturer's installation instructions require more space than available.
The caption for that diagram states "Recommended clearances".

Above that on the same page is...
Recommended clearances:
To guarantee optimal operation and adequate heat dissipation for the inverter, the following
requirements for clearances should be observed. This will prevent the inverter power output from
being reduced due to excessive temperatures. However, smaller clearances are permitted without
causing any risk.

pv_n00b

Thank you. I'll ensure inverter has adequate ventilation.

Is there a minimum height on wall requirement for locating an inverter and also a DC Disconnect?
I was told once that DC Disco must be 3 feet off ground.....

I'm not aware of a minimum height. There are maximum heights for switch handle location.
General good workmanship would be to mount things above the kick zone so they don't get beat up.

Zee

Thank you, all.

It is just a weird feeling mounting it that low.
I have mounted it inside garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.