INVERTERS - How much power for conversion

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
How much power is consumed to convert D.C. to A.C. ? I understand that power conversion waste energy, but how much.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
How much power is consumed to convert D.C. to A.C. ? I understand that power conversion waste energy, but how much.
I have used a lot of calculations on VSDs. We typically used 95% efficiency calcs mostly for water pumping stations.

mtnelect

Occupation
Is there an independent testing authority like UL that rates inverters and not just the manufacturer ?

AlbertL57

Occupation
Solar maintainer
The data sheet for the inverter will show the efficiency. Of course, there are other sources of energy loss in addition to inverter efficiency, such as wiring resistance.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
When looking at the data sheet, remember that the stated efficiency number is at a particular operating point, and will change with load and temperature

mtnelect

Occupation
When looking at the data sheet, remember that the stated efficiency number is at a particular operating point, and will change with load and temperature

I agree ... It's like when I do a "Heat Load" engineering study for a HVAC system. For example, the total Heat Load is 24,000 btu, then you have to look at the engineering data for that particular brand unit and select the system that meets your requirements. There are two data points "Sensible Heat" and "Latent Heat". In California because we have low humidity we disregard the latent heat amount.

Last edited:
True, but not very much. Sandia laboratories says: "Typical grid-tied inverter efficiencies exceed 95% under most operating conditions."