Irreversible connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

eds

Would like to use a crimp connector on a piece of 2/0 alu to a #4 solid copper, is there a crimp that is rated for grounding that would meet this criteria?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Is it for the GEC or EGC? If it is for an EGC, it doesn’t have to be irreversible, an inline mechanical splice can be used. Just curious, as AL is not commonly used as a GEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Tom that given the different material types and the large size disparity it might be difficult to find. I'm not saying that no one makes such a thing but you might not be able to get one. You might have to use several crimps in increments to get from 2/0 to #4.

Out of curiosity what is the application? You could always use a grounding bus to make the connection.

eds

Feeder to a seprate building, disconnect on exterior of building with 4/0 ser feeding a mainlug panel. Wanting to utilize the 2/0 equipment ground as the g.e.c as this seems to be allowed by the exception (2017 nec). Need to continue on from the panel location to the water service entrance, was looking for a crimp connection to go from 2/0 to #4 solid bare

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Feeder to a seprate building, disconnect on exterior of building with 4/0 ser feeding a main lug panel. Wanting to utilize the 2/0 equipment ground as the g.e.c as this seems to be allowed by the exception (2017 nec).
Are you referring to 250.32? What part of that section would allow this?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Feeder to a seprate building, disconnect on exterior of building with 4/0 ser feeding a mainlug panel. Wanting to utilize the 2/0 equipment ground as the g.e.c as this seems to be allowed by the exception (2017 nec). Need to continue on from the panel location to the water service entrance, was looking for a crimp connection to go from 2/0 to #4 solid bare
I'm confused here.
MLO panel at separate building? Where is the separate building disco?
SER to another building?
Why do you need to splice the GEC? You just connect the GEC to the EG bar at the building disco.

eds

Meter and main panel are located on another structure, the building in question has a disco on the outside where the feeder terminates. From this disconnect, 4/0 ser is then installed to a main lug panel. Building has a copper water service, but no ufer. With the ser containing a 2/0 equipment ground, I was going to use it for both an equipment ground and the g.e.c. One to save on cost, and two to spend lest time in the crawl space.

kwired

Electron manager
H tap will have one to take the right combination of conductors, but I kind of doubt any them would be listed for grounding.

eds

Correct
, I am having a hard time finding a listed h-tap. Was hoping someone on here might have used a listed connector

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Unless you’re going direct burial, within 18 inches of earth, or buried in concrete connections used for grounding don’t have to be specifically listed for grounding and bonding. They just need to be listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.