Irreversible GEC s

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The general rule is that the GEC must be installed as a continuous conductor unless it is spliced by irreversible means of one of the methods permitted in 250.64(C)..

250.64(C) Continuous. Except as provided in 250.30(A)(5) and
(A)(6), 250.30(B)(1), and 250.68(C), grounding electrode
conductor(s) shall be installed in one continuous length
without a splice or joint.
If necessary, splices or connec-
tions shall be made as permitted in (1) through (4):
(1) Splicing of the wire-type grounding electrode conduc-
tor shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-
type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equip-
ment or by the exothermic welding process.
(2) Sections of busbars shall be permitted to be connected
together to form a grounding electrode conductor.
(3) Bolted, riveted, or welded connections of structural
metal frames of buildings or structures.
(4) Threaded, welded, brazed, soldered or bolted-flange
connections of metal water piping.

kwired

Electron manager
But only one GEC is required, you can run an unspliced GEC to say building steel and any taps off that to other electrodes is called a bonding jumper and doesn't have to be irreversible

electricalist

Irreversible GEC s

Here's the scenario.
It's a PV system.
AHJ wants 2 ground rods to the service disconnect that feeds the inverter. As well as the EGC that feeds the inverter all crimped. Irreversible and bonded to the service disconnect neutral.
It's a single family dwelling so not much chance of bonding at the cold water, 2 ground rods makes it work for us and him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

electricalist

In my other thread the AHJ didn't care about any GES for PV. This one wants it followed to the letter including. Brown and yellow wire for the D.C. side.

In my other thread the AHJ didn't care about any GES for PV. This one wants it followed to the letter including. Brown and yellow wire for the D.C. side.

I believe that, due to vagueness in the code, the inspector may be justified in requiring a gec to the inverter. I always forget which code cycle said what in this regard. There is a whote paper by someone (UL?) that states a gec is not required for transformerless inverters. This came up not long ago, maybe paw around in the pv forum, or Maybe jaggedben Will see this thread, he is very on top of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.