irrevesible splicing of grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawz

I am installing a 45KW single phase generator, and connecting it to a 400a single phase residential service. The existing service has 2 200A main panels, connected to 1 400a meter with no disconnects. I installed 2 200A service rated ATS's between the meter and main panels.
Was not thinking ahead, the single grounding conductor from the generator needs to be a irrevsible splice.
I need to find a method to splice 3 aluminum conductors in a trough before going into the ATS's. Local inspector has no input, and does not have any recommendations. Local supply house doesn't have any ideas either??
Any ideas or recommendations would be a huge help.
Thanks

gndrod

bawz said:
I am installing a 45KW single phase generator, and connecting it to a 400a single phase residential service. The existing service has 2 200A main panels, connected to 1 400a meter with no disconnects. I installed 2 200A service rated ATS's between the meter and main panels.
Was not thinking ahead, the single grounding conductor from the generator needs to be a irrevsible splice.
I need to find a method to splice 3 aluminum conductors in a trough before going into the ATS's. Local inspector has no input, and does not have any recommendations. Local supply house doesn't have any ideas either??
Any ideas or recommendations would be a huge help.
Thanks
From the data mentioned, I interpret the need to permanently connect the grounded service conductor in parallel with 2 additional neutral grounded conductors from the meter? Please explain in more detail. tx rbj

electricalperson

if you need a irriversible connection, are you able to hypress terminals to the conductors and put them on a bus bar inside the trough? i believe only thing that needs to have an irriversible connection is the grounding electrode conductor.
are you switching the neutrals?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm not sure if I understand your setup, but taps from the GEC to the 200 amp ATS's are not required to be irreversible. A simple split bolt for each tap from the GEC will suffice.

bawz

The generator only has one connection point for the neutral conductor. In the trough just before entering both ATS's, the neutral feed from the gen is spliced or tapped with a split bolt. Then connects to the neutral bus in each of the 2 ATS's. The neutrals are not switched in the ATS's.
The local inspector said the grounding conductor from the generator can not be spliced unless irreversal splices are used.
The neutral conductor from the generator can not be spliced unless using irreversal splices. I like the idea to use compression ends, connected to a bus bar in the trough. Any further ideas or comments as to proceeding with this method?
I have never cad welded aluminum, is that possible? Even if at all possible I stay away from cad welding, although it is fun from time to time!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
bawz said:
The local inspector said the grounding conductor from the generator can not be spliced unless irreversible splices are used.
The neutral conductor from the generator can not be spliced unless using irreversible splices.

Did he cite a code article? 250.64(D) permits taps from the GEC without the use of irreversible connectors.

bawz

whoops!

grounded conductor is the neutral, grounding conductor is the ground or equipment ground.
That is where the communication was breaking down with the inspector.
Ms Inspector is talking about the grounding conductor..:confused:
I guess I was thinking she meant the neutral conductor. I need to talk with the inspector again to clear it up.

bawz

infinity said:
Did he cite a code article? 250.64(D) permits taps from the GEC without the use of irreversible connectors.

SHe did not cite any code, I need to get more details from the inspector

I just looked at 250.64 (d), I didn't understand it as you just stated.

The last part reads:
The tap conductors shall be connected to the grounding electrode conductor in such a manner that the grounding electrode conductor remains with out a splice or joint.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bawz said:
The tap conductors shall be connected to the grounding electrode conductor in such a manner that the grounding electrode conductor remains with out a splice or joint.
That means the method you use to attach the tap should not compromise or damage the main run.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
bawz said:
SHe did not cite any code, I need to get more details from the inspector

I just looked at 250.64 (d), I didn't understand it as you just stated.

The last part reads:

As Larry stated the GEC cannot be spliced but it certainly can be tapped. This means that you can't cut the GEC and splice on your taps.

gndrod

Permanent compression bonds

Permanent compression bonds

bawz said:
The generator only has one connection point for the neutral conductor. In the trough just before entering both ATS's, the neutral feed from the gen is spliced or tapped with a split bolt. Then connects to the neutral bus in each of the 2 ATS's. The neutrals are not switched in the ATS's.
The local inspector said the grounding conductor from the generator can not be spliced unless irreversal splices are used.
The neutral conductor from the generator can not be spliced unless using irreversal splices. I like the idea to use compression ends, connected to a bus bar in the trough. Any further ideas or comments as to proceeding with this method?
I have never cad welded aluminum, is that possible? Even if at all possible I stay away from cad welding, although it is fun from time to time!

Using a H-Frame Compression connector may be another way of 'paralleling' the window stripped neutrals without series crimping. This includes Al cable. rbj

bawz

LarryFine said:
That means the method you use to attach the tap should not compromise or damage the main run.

Ah, I see what you are talking about!
So the gec could have continued through the trough uncut, while a tap could have connected to the other ats.
I read that several times, I still would not have got it unless some one explained it. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
bawz said:
Ah, I see what you are talking about!
So the gec could have continued through the trough uncut, while a tap could have connected to the other ats.
I read that several times, I still would not have got it unless some one explained it. Thanks

Yes the full size GEC would be one continuous piece with smaller sized conductors tapped to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.