Is a conductor that is allowed for wet locations, also allowed for damp locations?

alej27

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is a conductor that is allowed for wet locations, also allowed for damp locations?

For example, conductor types TW, THW, THWN, THW-2 and THWN-2 are allowed for "dry and wet locations" per table 310.4(A) of the 2020 NEC, but it doesn't explicitly say for damp locations.

My logic is that yes, they are. But my doubt comes from the fact that the table explicitly says "dry" (but not "damp"), while I'd think that if a conductor is allowed for wet locations, then it obviously is also allowed for dry (and damp) locations, making it redundant to say it's allowed for dry locations.

Second question: Conductor types THHW and XHHW are rated 75°C for wet locations, and are rated 90°C for dry locations. For damp locations, are they rated 75°C or 90°C? Other conductor types, like ZW, explicitly say (on table 310.4(A)) that they are rated 75°C for wet locations, and 90°C for dry and damp locations. So I'd think the answer to my second question would be 90°C. But I'm asking because I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

alej27

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1. Yes, absolutely.

2. A -2 suffix means the wet rating equals the dry or damp rating
Thanks.

By the way, table 310.4(A) says XHWN wire is rated for 75°C in dry and wet (and damp) locations. But table 310.16 says such wire is rated for both 75°C and 90°C. Why is that?