Is a separate ground rod required per NEC for an outdoor electrical gate operator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gust1j

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am working on a project where a new outdoor electrical gate operator is being installed to control a fence cantilever gate. The detail provided says to install a separate ground rod for the gate operator per NEC. I don't recall seeing a separate ground rod on existing gate operator installations and I'm wondering if these existing gate operators are installed incorrectly. Should outdoor electrical gate operators have a separate ground rod? and if so what NEC code requires it?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I know some jurisdictions in NC would consider it a structure, and want a grounding electrode, Their definition of structure tends to be a little looney! LOL!

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I know some jurisdictions in NC would consider it a structure, and want a grounding electrode, Their definition of structure tends to be a little looney! LOL!
Their interpretation of the article 100 definition of structure wouldn't be loony. But if the only branch circuit to the structure is the one for the gate motor, then the structure still isn't required to have a grounding electrode. It's the exception to 250.32(A) which Charlie already mentioned.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree a ground rod or any electrode for that matter is not required. Sounds like the detail is from someone other than the gate manufacturer.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I agree a ground rod or any electrode for that matter is not required. Sounds like the detail is from someone other than the gate manufacturer.

Not the NEC. It very well may be that it's from the gate manufacturer just like other equipment that has "dirt worshiper" engineers who don't understand the function and proper use of ground rods.

One would think that the posts and supports for this gate as well as the attached fence more than equal what a ground rod provides anyway.

-Hal

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Do you think there's any real reason for that? Or is it just superstition?
Well this customer had lost 3 gate openers due to either lightning or surge. I didn't install any of those. The one that I installed said to drive a ground rod and I did. To my knowledge the motor I put in is still working. As to whether the ground rod made a difference, I can't tell you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.