Is an GEC required on transformers when there is no neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyamkram

I have a Delta to Delta step down transformer, HV 480, LV 240, 3 phase general purpose transformer, I am required to install, an GEC, when there is no natural??

from what I read, an GEC is required.

Grounding electrode conductors at the service, at each building or structure where supplied by a feeder(s) or branch circuit(s), or at a separately derived system shall be installed as specified in 250.64(A) through (F).

Thank you, for all the information and you time.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have a Delta to Delta step down transformer, HV 480, LV 240, 3 phase general purpose transformer, I am required to install, an GEC, when there is no natural??

Grounding electrode conductors at the service, at each building or structure where supplied by a feeder(s) or branch circuit(s), or at a separately derived system shall be installed as specified in 250.64(A) through (F).

Thank you, for all the information and you time.
Yes. You will also need to monitor the secondary for faults.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

So you're operating as an ungrounded system?

kwired

Electron manager
If you corner ground it you still have a "grounded conductor", that is the one to connect.

If it is an ungrounded system you still need a GES and GEC's and connect all non current carrying components to it, there just is no direct connection to the source itself.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only difference in the bonding and grounding requirements between an SDS that supplies a grounded system and one that supplies an ungrounded system, is that the grounded system will have a system bonding jumper and the ungrounded system will not have a system bonding jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.