Is anyone here Ga Low Voltage licensed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandar

I am trying to find someone who is Ga Low Voltage licensed who may be willing to sign my application for approval to take the exam. If you would be interested then please let me know.

This goes out to anyone: If you don't know anyone who is Low Voltage licensed and the board requires that you have someone sign your application to be considered to take the exam...what do you do?

I called the license office and the lady told me just to submit an application and see what happens. But the app fee is $30. Sounds kind of like a risk of $30.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
brandar said:
I am trying to find someone who is Ga Low Voltage licensed who may be willing to sign my application for approval to take the exam. If you would be interested then please let me know.

This goes out to anyone: If you don't know anyone who is Low Voltage licensed and the board requires that you have someone sign your application to be considered to take the exam...what do you do?

I called the license office and the lady told me just to submit an application and see what happens. But the app fee is $30. Sounds kind of like a risk of $30.

If it isa a requirement that a LV licensee sign your app, why would they accept an app that does not meet this requirement? It could be that this is a requirement that has been added by the board that has no legal standing so if you don't follow it, there is no penalty. This is a pretty common practice with many government agencies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i've had the same problem buddy. i was told i'm eligible to take the test because i have a non-restricted ec license, but i still have to have an lvu sign my app. problem is, even though i know and have done low voltage work, i never worked for a company that had the license. so basically, unless someone is willing to let me be their competition, i'm screwed. i can't even get a florida masters license now because they require you to have both GA licenses to reciprocate. contractors w/ an lvu license are hard to find too, as there are fewer of them than any other construction license in the state.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
brantmacga said:
i've had the same problem buddy. i was told i'm eligible to take the test because i have a non-restricted ec license, but i still have to have an lvu sign my app. problem is, even though i know and have done low voltage work, i never worked for a company that had the license. so basically, unless someone is willing to let me be their competition, i'm screwed. i can't even get a florida masters license now because they require you to have both GA licenses to reciprocate. contractors w/ an lvu license are hard to find too, as there are fewer of them than any other construction license in the state.

and no doubt they would like to keep it that way.

brandar

its nuts

its nuts

I think it is absolutely nuts that it works that way. Talk about monopoly issues. If low voltage guys don't want competition they can just not ever sign for anyone else and have the upward hand. :(

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
in the county i do 90% of my work in, there are just over 100 non-restricted EC's. the LV license is divided into telecom, alarm, general, and unlimited. there are less than 20 low voltage contractors, with only 3 of those being unlimited. to get ANY of the LV licenses, you must be signed off by an UNLIMITED LV contractor. its the same w/ the EC license, but we only have restricted (200A single phase) and non-restricted. and all 3 of the unlimited contractors gained their license by 'conversion' (grandfathered, which continued up until '85).

Status
Not open for further replies.