Is Crimper Die Color universal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natfuelbilll

When a compression fitting lug calls for certain color die can any manufacturer tooling be used?

say I have a T&B lug that calls for a “GREEN” die can I always use a “GREEN” Burndy or Milwaukee or whosever “GREEN” die?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Not saying yes definitely, but the ones I have used from different manufacturers match.

it would be hard to sell one if it didn’t match the “standard” T&B die.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Good question I always assumed that they were. We use a combination of Burndy and T&B dies but I always check the conductor size on the die.

Natfuelbilll

A follow up question is for Class H flex wire.

Does a standard “color” matching die work or does an indent type of die have to be used?

it seems the lug manufactures push their tooling product line.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Does a standard “color” matching die work or does an indent type of die have to be used?

The UL Guide Information for "Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs (ZMVV) says that you can only used the tool or tools specified on the lug or the carton that the lug came in. Sometimes manufacturers of lugs will only specify their tools, and use of a different tool would be a 110.3(B) vilotation.
Use of specific tools — A specific tool and die used to assemble a wire connector to a conductor is identified on the connector, or on or within the unit container of the connector. The identification consists of a catalog or type designation, color-coding, die index number, or equivalent means. Color-coding of the crimp barrel is common.

oldsparky52

Like Don pointed out, it it's a listed combination, it's good to go. In other words, you need it in writing.

Personally, I could never understand how a die meant for standard building wire could ever work properly on Class H stranding. I always used a dieless crimper and lugs that were listed for use with that crimper and with the cable I was using. The dieless crimper usually has an expanded range, I had a listed connection between building wire and H stranding using a butt splice only because of the expanded range of the dieless crimper.

Status
Not open for further replies.