is it allowable to install a 3-wire 20 amp circuit to feed an outbuilding? and where is the code? having a hard time?.

Occupation
Master electrician /owner operator
so my local inspector said that you were not allowed to run a three-wire circuit to an outbuilding that is rated at 20 amps and I don't think it's true. I'm pretty sure that I've read a code that says you can do that as long as it's in a three-wire assembly like UF wire for example, and as long as the breaker has a two pole breaker installed... can somebody please help and also confirm the code so I can show the guy and get a past inspection. It would mean a lot. I'm having a hard time finding it for some reason.

Mason North
Volta Electric

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The general rule is that you can only feed a second building with a single circuit. However 210.4(A) only permits a multiwire circuit to be considered more than one circuit. It does not require you to consider the 3 wire circuit as two circuits. 250.32(A) exception also addresses this in that you are not required to have a grounding electrode for a second building supplied by a single circuit, including a single muliwire circuit.

Occupation
The general rule is that you can only feed a second building with a single circuit. However 210.4(A) only permits a multiwire circuit to be considered more than one circuit. It does not require you to consider the 3 wire circuit as two circuits. 250.32(A) exception also addresses this in that you are not required to have a grounding electrode for a second building supplied by a single circuit, including a single muliwire circuit.
I appreciate that so much! I've been hunting around everywhere and I know I've read it but it must not have solidified in my mind. this definitely is it and I've talked to my inspector. hopefully they won't give me any problems. I sent them various code articles that support my installation A two-pole 20 amp circuit with over current protection in the original house structure which feeds the detached shed on the other side of the property about 50 ft away from the house. Thank you very much.
Mason North Volta Electric Richmond Virginia

Occupation
I appreciate that so much! I've been hunting around everywhere and I know I've read it but it must not have solidified in my mind. this definitely is it and I've talked to my inspector. hopefully they won't give me any problems. I sent them various code articles that support my installation A two-pole 20 amp circuit with over current protection in the original house structure which feeds the detached shed on the other side of the property about 50 ft away from the house. Thank you very much.
Mason North Volta Electric Richmond Virginia
so now my inspector says that I have have my disconnect located in the shed and I've told him that's not true. it can be a two-pole breaker elsewhere at the original structure. I know I've read that. can you help me on that one too so I don't have to scour for this information? I'm going to look anyway. Thank you for your help! this guy is hell bent on failing me for some reason

Occupation
225.31 and 225.32
do you think the way I'm reading it and interpreting it is accurate? it says the disconnecting means shall be either inside or outside the building. blah blah shall be readily accessible nearest to the point of entrance bye-bye exception number one. it's permitted to be located elsewhere on premises.. does 225 and 31 prove that I don't have to do disconnect right beside it

Occupation
do you think the way I'm reading it and interpreting it is accurate? it says the disconnecting means shall be either inside or outside the building. blah blah shall be readily accessible nearest to the point of entrance bye-bye exception number one. it's permitted to be located elsewhere on premises.. does 225 and 31 prove that I don't have to do disconnect right beside it
he says that article proves that I still need disconnects at the building for my 220 amp circuits in a multi-wire branch. circuit does not seem accurate to me

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
225.32 says on the building being served.

225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed
either inside or outside of the building or structure
served or where the conductors pass through the building or
structure.
This can be a simple double pole switch.

Occupation
225.32 says on the building being served.

This can be a simple double pole switch.
That's a great idea! I'll just put that below in the existing switch where I currently have my three wire feed going to. The double pole switch will allow me to switch both the circuits off. That's great. thank you so much for your help!