Is PVC ok for micro inverter system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

We've been installing SunPower ACPV modules a lot lately. My assumption would be that I do not have to run EMT to the first point of disconnect with these systems as I had to in the past with DC coming off the roof. I could use PVC or other methods?

Is that assumption correct?

thanks!

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think it is considered bad practice in the industry to use PVC on rooftops, at least if installed close to the roof. This may be because some PVC is not rated for the temperature and sunlight and people have had bad experiences. I would make sure your PVC is sunlight resistant and is rated for above 50C or that could be a code violation. (See 352.12(D)). Remember that the roof surface can be much hotter than the general ambient temperature, something recognized by 310.15(B)(3)(c).

Otherwise, yes, no issues, except by local amendment, especially if inside. And for what it's worth, the requirements for DC haven't been different except inside a building.

I think it is considered bad practice in the industry to use PVC on rooftops, at least if installed close to the roof. This may be because some PVC is not rated for the temperature and sunlight and people have had bad experiences. I would make sure your PVC is sunlight resistant and is rated for above 50C or that could be a code violation. (See 352.12(D)). Remember that the roof surface can be much hotter than the general ambient temperature, something recognized by 310.15(B)(3)(c).

Otherwise, yes, no issues, except by local amendment, especially if inside. And for what it's worth, the requirements for DC haven't been different except inside a building.

thanks. Yeah I wouldn't use it on a roof, more talking about in a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.