Is RMC corrosion resistant rated for pool niche?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPS

Hi All,
First day to the forum. Ran into a pool repair and need to install conduit from the wet-niche light to a currently non-existing swimming pool junction box. 2005NEC states "Metal conduit shall be approved and shall be of brass or other approved corrosion-resistant metal." Is galvanized RMC still approved for this application?
There is no bond lug inside the niche (it is outside) so I think running PVC is out of the question.
Thanx.
Dj

izak

the way i read it is no. galvanized rigid is not corrosion proof with respect to much of anything, let alone chlorine... thats why it mentions brass

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
izak said:
the way i read it is no. galvanized rigid is not corrosion proof with respect to much of anything, let alone chlorine... thats why it mentions brass

there is a difference between corrosion resistant and corrosion proof.

PPS

OK,
So maybe I do not need corrosion-resistant metal conduit after all. Although I did speak to a pool equipment manufacture who stated that copper water pipe was being used out west to run between the forming shell and jbox.
Please give me your thoughts.
I do not see anything in the 2005NEC that states the forming shell needs to be grounded. It is already bonded with the rest of the pool system. The only problem is with 680.23 B 2 b that states ?Nonmetallic Conduit. Where a nonmetallic conduit is used, an 8 AWG insulated solid or stranded copper bonding jumper shall be installed in this conduit unless a listed low-voltage lighting system not requiring grounding is used. The bonding jumper shall be terminated in the forming shell, junction box or transformer enclosure, or ground-fault circuit-interrupter enclosure. ?What is the purpose of this bonding jumper? Is it grounding or bonding, the quote talks about both. I see nothing about the deck box having to be bonded. The wet-niche luminarie does have a 16 AWG ground incorporated in the flexible cord for grounding the luminarie.
Thoughts?

Dj
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.