Is section 230 for Services applied for solar generation system

TPhan

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi,

We have designed a 5MW solar system and connected it to the MV utility pole. The solar system only generates power to the grid without supporting any load. The new solar system also has a disconnect switch (GOAB) to disconnect our solar system from the grid. Is the GOAB switch considered the service disconnect and required to follow section 230?

The NEC definition of "service" is "The conductors and equipment connecting the serving utility to the wiring system of the premises served." Is the solar system considered the "premises served"?

I believe the solar system only needs to follow section 690 and does not need to comply with section 230, but I want to know your opinion. We have been asked by the AHJ a few times to add the "service disconnect" label to the GOAB switch as required by section 230.70(B).

Thank you

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes, a service for a PV system is still a service. They actually changed the definition of a service a few years back so it no longer refers to the direction of energy flow. Also read Article 705.11 in the 2020 or 2023 NEC and it talks quite clearly about connecting PV to a service.

I can't say from here whether the GOAB switch is the service disconnect, that depends on who owns it and the conductors on either side, i.e. whether it is the first point of disconnect on the customer side of the service point. But the AHJ is correct to be expecting you to have a service disconnect, and yes, 230 applies. I have no expertise in MV but see 230 Part VIII.

I don't think back feeding the grid can be considered a service.

It certainly can be and it is. A service, nowadays, is a connection between a utility and a premise.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Yes, a service for a PV system is still a service. They actually changed the definition of a service a few years back so it no longer refers to the direction of energy flow. Also read Article 705.11 in the 2020 or 2023 NEC and it talks quite clearly about connecting PV to a service.

I can't say from here whether the GOAB switch is the service disconnect, that depends on who owns it and the conductors on either side, i.e. whether it is the first point of disconnect on the customer side of the service point. But the AHJ is correct to be expecting you to have a service disconnect, and yes, 230 applies. I have no expertise in MV but see 230 Part VIII.

It certainly can be and it is. A service, nowadays, is a connection between a utility and a premise.
Where did the Op say that the PV is mounted on a building? What if it is a free-standing solar array? The code definition of a premise is not clear

david

Didn't the utility install a service drop or service lateral to something.

Utilities are not under NEC requirements but you have to submit something to them indicating what size service you request for the site