Is the Southwire Voltage drop calculator wrong?

MattEng

Occupation
Electrical PE
One example here, and maybe someone can just point out where my math's wrong but I cannot for the life of me get the same answer as Southwire's calculator

#2 Aluminum 480V run of 510 feet for 90 amps. Setting Southwire to power factor of 1 and commercial 75, it gives an answer of 5.61%. 5.61% of 480V = 26.93Volts dropped

Mathwise, (.32 (ohms per 1000 feet from table 9 NEC) * 510 feet)/1000 feet gives resistance of .1632 ohms.

.1632O * 90A = 14.688Vl-n. Multiply by square root of 3 to bring back to L-L world and it's 25.4 Volts dropped. 25.4/480 = 3.9%

Not the biggest difference there, but I am getting bigger differences on higher power runs. Is this a known issue that southwire's calculator isn't correct?

MattEng

Occupation
Electrical PE
give all the parameters used on southwire?
System:
Mode: Commercial 75
Power Factor: 1
Current: AC
Units: Feet
Phase: 3
Conductor: Aluminum
Instalation: Cable, Conduit (non steel) and direct burial

Input:
Calculator: Voltage Drop
Conductor Size: 2
Length of cable run: 510
Current at end of cable run: 90
Parallel sets: 1

Gives an answer of 5.61% voltage drop, with engineering information of 90Amps rated, .3190 ohms resistance, .0450 ohms reactance, and 1 power factor

I get 3.9% drop. I'm aware that's still above 3% drop, but I'm more wondering how Southwire is coming to it's conclusion.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
My guess is it is a rounding issue that shows in the form of ~1.5V on a 480V circuit. Which is close enough to be usable. I couldn't tell you which one is more correct since we don't have access to their coding of the calculator.

They might also be taking into account mutual inductance or some form of it in their calculation. To which nobody would do by hand willingly. lol

Who knows.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Voltage drop needs to consider the length of the 'out' conductor and also the 'return' one for single phase circuits. The Southwire calculator does this automatically. You need to do this with manual calculations.

Could this ne the difference?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Voltage drop needs to consider the length of the 'out' conductor and also the 'return' one for single phase circuits. The Southwire calculator does this automatically. You need to do this with manual calculations.

Could this be the difference?
No, the Southwire calculator has a choice for single phase or 3 phase. Also, that would make a difference of 2/sqrt(3), which is not the particular difference we are seeing.

Cheers, Wayne