Is the switch the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a message recently about a florecent fixture that the owner claims is ruining the ballasts. I stopped by there today with my little 'beep-beep' tester. Power at the switch, power at the ballasts. Then I looked at the switch, it looks like a three-way switch (I hope thats the correct terminology) that would be used for controlling a fixture from two different points. This light is only controlled from one point. I am not a professional electrician, but from what I do know, that type of switch hooked up independently, will always allow power to flow. Correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to put this issue to bed. I don't use florescent fixtures in my house anyway. Would a single location switch fix this problem. I don't remember witch wire was hooked to which colored screw, I think the white nuetral was hooked to the bronze screw. help me out here. Thanks.

ryan_618

Re: Is the switch the problem?

I really hope I don't offend you, but I think you're getting in over your head. First of all the "beep-beep" tester you are refering to is basically worthless for troubleshooting, as it won't tell you anything about the nuetral of the circuit. Secondly, you are refering to a nuetral on a switch. If that were the case the circuit would blow up. I think its time you get yourself an electrician to help you out with this. I do admire your trying to help someone though.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

I love my ticker tester.

That said it is not a troubleshooting device.

You will get false reading on 3-wire cable. And some of the older cable will muffle the "wave" (induction).

I can show you a pair of "dikes" that prove it is not always right.

Please refer your homeowner questions to a pro. I know you want to help, however, as I have stated before you do not want me to come in after you have made an "expert" opinion.

Mike P.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

If you install a 3-way switch in the place of a normal on/off switch, and if you don?t have a similar 3-way switch at the other end, then the 3-way switch will function the same way a normal on/off switch would have worked. One switch position will turn the light on, the other will turn it off. You did not say whether the switch behaves in this normal and expected way, or whether the light stays on regardless of switch position.

So back to basics: What exactly is the problem that you are trying to solve? Is the problem that the switch doesn?t work, or is the problem that ballasts burn out more frequently than nature intended? If the later, then it is likely that you will need professional help to troubleshoot the problem. But let me first ask two other questions: (1) Is the lamp a compact fluorescent? (2) Is there a timing device or other ?on-at-dusk, off-at-dawn? controller involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.