Is there any standard notation used for calling out wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrc14

Occupation
Engineer
Is there any standard notation used for calling out conductors on plans?

I get easily confused when I see this on a cable schedule: 3-1/C #12

Does 3-1/C #12 refer to (3) separate #12 conductors or a single cable assembly with (3) conductors?

Thanks,

480sparky

You specs should also specify what wiring methods are to be used.

I've never seen the format you posted. If it's conduit, it looks to be 1", which is overkill for 3 12s.

shamsdebout

Is there any standard notation used for calling out conductors on plans?

I get easily confused when I see this on a cable schedule: 3-1/C #12

Does 3-1/C #12 refer to (3) separate #12 conductors or a single cable assembly with (3) conductors?

Thanks,

yeah that is confusing, we normally call out conductors as:
3#12,1#12G-1/2"C.
That seems to do the job.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Thanks,
That is a common notation in this area. The 3 is the number of conductors. The 1/C tells you that it is a single conductor. If it is a cable with multiple conductors then the 1 would be changed to the number of conductors in the cable. And the #12 tells you the size of the conductors.

Maybe that is three #12 insulated conductors and 1 uninsulated conductor in a cable? That notation appears all over this schematic:

http://eplan.dot.il.gov/desenv/042806/AU062-03A/Plans/11x17-042806-AU062-03A-066-038-11x17.pdf

Bit confusing. The use cable when they mean conductor. They fail to identify the conduit on the connection drawing in the upper left hand so you may think that those are multiconductor CABLES instead of single CONDUCTORS until you start looking at the individual assembly drawing at the lower center.

Common design mistake is to represent the same information in slightly different form. That is why one would use a Bill Of Material table and use that number on the different representation. 'Say it once, then refer to it multiple times' is a good rule to follow.

Mike01

My 2 cents.

My 2 cents.

My preference for what it?s worth
??c.-3#12&1#12grd.
Always list conduit first,(conduit gets installed before wire)
If it indicates 3-1/C to me that would be 3#12
1-3/C would be a three conductor cable (SO, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.