Is this a classified location

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
This was recently installed at the factory I work in and I had some questions about hazard and NEC compliance.

This area is a chemical storage containment area.
Hazards are corrosive, plus harmful to people and wildlife.
A spill would not be normal. Chemical is transferred by fork lift from this area to the area used.
Transformer and panel are nema 3R.
Conduit is threaded RMC.

Should this area by classified? I think no

Is the nema 3R equipment adequate? I think perhaps 4X

Inside this area do the receptacle outlets require GFCI protection?

Thank you in advance I think this could be a good learning experience for me.

Attachments

• IMG_8280.jpeg
    IMG_8280.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8282.jpeg
    IMG_8282.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8281.jpeg
    IMG_8281.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 14

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This was recently installed at the factory I work in and I had some questions about hazard and NEC compliance.

A spill would not be normal. Chemical is transferred by fork lift from this area to the area used.
Conduit is threaded RMC.

Thank you in advance I think this could be a good learning experience for me.
While you may have to protect the electrical equipment from corrosion hazards, it is not classified area unless the product is flammable.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Conduit is threaded RMC.

I agree. As long as there are no flammable chemicals involved, it does not warrant classification.
This is mostly a design decision. Some things painted enclsoures are an adequate corrosion barrier.

210.8 (B) will give you the answer as to whether it is required. I don't think it qualifies.
Thank you in advance I think this could be a good learning experience for me.Maybe for us too.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The NEC does require the enclosures to be rated for the environment. I think it would be reasonable from the pictures to install NEMA 12 enclosures and corrosion resistant strut in the pictured area, but as long as there aren't corrosive vapors present and a spill is an accident not an expected occurrence, I don't believe NEMA 12 could be REQUIRED by anyone.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The NEC does require the enclosures to be rated for the environment. I think it would be reasonable from the pictures to install NEMA 12 enclosures and corrosion resistant strut in the pictured area, but as long as there aren't corrosive vapors present and a spill is an accident not an expected occurrence, I don't believe NEMA 12 could be REQUIRED by anyone.
I don't see how a type 12 enclosure is inherently any more corrosion resistant than a type 3R.

paint or zinc plating are both very common techniques to resist corrosion. If type 12 is good enough, type 1 is good enough.

IMO, if the corrosion is such that standard painted enclosures are inadequate, than the paint on the wall is inadequate.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I don't see how a type 12 enclosure is inherently any more corrosion resistant than a type 3R.

paint or zinc plating are both very common techniques to resist corrosion. If type 12 is good enough, type 1 is good enough.

IMO, if the corrosion is such that standard painted enclosures are inadequate, than the paint on the wall is inadequate.
My bad, I should have looked it up. For some reason I was thinking NEMA 12 was fiberglass I see it is only the X ratings that offer this.

dm9289

Occupation
I agree. As long as there are no flammable chemicals involved, it does not warrant classification.

This is mostly a design decision. Some things painted enclsoures are an adequate corrosion barrier.

210.8 (B) will give you the answer as to whether it is required. I don't think it qualifies.
Thank you it is on a gfci breaker

dm9289

Occupation
We generally have containers closed. Thank you for your info.

dm9289

Occupation

I work 12 hour days 4 on 4 off this just appeared we have some construction going on and contractors ran this to power their trailer.
It just didn’t feel right so I started digging and I agree with most reply’s saying it’s ok but maybe not ideal or super neat.