Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
There are, and have been, a number of night lights that are built on device yokes that can be mounted in a standard single gang wall case.

Is this a Luminaire?

Below is the P&S hallway light catalog # TMHWLCC , an LED light source providing 3 lumens from a 120V supply. It is designed to be covered by a generic decora style device coverplate.

PandSHallwayLightTMHWLCC.jpg

drbond24

Luminaire - A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply.

Using that definition, I vote yes.

gndrod

Night light?

Night light?

I believe the switch is still a device with an LED in it. The LED is most likely not a replaceable lamp and may constitute as a semiconductor component part of a luminaire. Comments? rbj

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I should've created a poll with this. Sorry for the foresight.

Poll: Is this a Luminaire?
1. Yes
2. No
3. Can't tell.

Can a Moderator who sees this please help? Thanks.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I believe the switch is still a device with an LED in it.
There is no switch or receptacle in the P&S device shown. It requires a hot and neutral to work. The nightlight shown is literally only a nightlight.

Last edited:

Mayimbe

Luminaire - A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply.

Using that definition, I vote yes.

I will vote yes as well. But that definition should point out whats the aceptable range of lumens that a luminaire got to have, to be considered as a "proper" luminaire.

I would say that it has to be >500 lumens.

drbond24

I will vote yes as well. But that definition should point out whats the aceptable range of lumens that a luminaire got to have, to be considered as a "proper" luminaire.

I would say that it has to be >500 lumens.

That definition came from the NEC. They don't specify a minimum quantity of lumens, so that doesn't come into the discussion. The requirements they call out are a light source, positioning, and power supply connection. All are present in this case.

480sparky

........ What can you possibly iluminate with 3 lumens? ..........

A dark hallway, or stairway. I've installed dozens of those in houses for just such a purpose. They're far less obtrusive than a plug-in nightlight that gets ripped off by kids running by or the vacuum cleaner.

Mayimbe

Imagine three candle flames close to each other in a dark space. . .

a single candle flame have a luminous flux of 4*3.14159(pi) lumens > 3 lumens

That definition came from the NEC. They don't specify a minimum quantity of lumens, so that doesn't come into the discussion. The requirements they call out are a light source, positioning, and power supply connection. All are present in this case.

I see.

A dark hallway, or stairway. I've installed dozens of those in houses for just such a purpose. They're far less obtrusive than a plug-in nightlight that gets ripped off by kids running by or the vacuum cleaner.

ok.

It was just an opinion. Obviously those things have to have a use, if they doesnt had a use. what would be the reason of making those things?

I have learned something new

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Why is it important if the device is a luminaire? It is and I hadn't considered it as such.
This group of light creating assemblies on a yoke have the properties of both a Luminaire and a Device.

Luminaire falls under exclusionary last sentence of Premises Wiring (System).

Device is only in the inclusive first sentences of Premises Wiring (System).

If this assembly is a Luminaire, it is installed at an Outlet.

If it is a Device, can there be an Outlet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.