Is this a violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrvazzer

I was working on a punchlist and ran across these two installations. I've never seen lighting fixture feed from a wall mounted box and just hang bx across the corridor to feed the fixture. The fixture is about 10'-0" high. Also the other bx cable is terminating in a compressor package which contains 10 or more compressor and control wiring. They ran all the power and control cables behind the wall made a hole and fish it thru. Is this a violation or just shoddy work.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it's BX cable on the light fixture, look at NEC 3210.30. From what you describe it might not be a violation if it's 6 ft or less.
With multiple circuits, the 2nd installation sounds more like FMC than BX.
If it is flex look at 348.30.
To verify a violation, you must identify the wiring method and then check that specific Code section, but as a general rule if it's a 6 ft fixture feed or it's "fished", no support is needed.

raider1

Staff member
The first picture seems to violate the securing and supporting requirements of 330.30(B) and (C). IMHO 330.30(D)(2) would not apply because the installation in question is not in an accessible ceiling.

The second picture you have the same problem with securing and supporting of the MC cables, as well as using the larger flex to support the MC cables. 300.11(B) does not permit a raceway to support other raceways or cables.

Chris

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The second picture you have the same problem with securing and supporting of the MC cables, as well as using the larger flex to support the MC cables. 300.11(B) does not permit a raceway to support other raceways or cables.

Chris

Yeah, but they used cat5 as the support, see 800.3.:grin:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Pictures can sure change things. I agree with Chris, support is needed in both situations.

jrvazzer

crazy BX

crazy BX

In that first picture the jbox is a little below the fixture. I also notice that some final connections were longer that 6'. The second picture is one of eight locations and some are worse than this.
Thanks, for your commons.

Status
Not open for further replies.