Is this compliant? (Chase nipples)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is this compliant? Listing issue? Bonding issue?

It is a listed 90 degree rigid nipple, a rigid coupling, and a pair of chase nipples on each end.

Would using locknuts underneath each chase nipple (to help ensure it's bonded to the panel) change anything?

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 12.44.08 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 12.44.19 PM.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Chase nipple have straight threads aren't those street elbows designed for tapered threads?

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Chase nipple have straight threads aren't those street elbows designed for tapered threads?
I believe so. But I was able to thread the chase nipple into it all the way making a very tight connection.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You put the fitting on the box and inserted thru the hole into the bottom of panel?
Clever👍
Yup.

I will admit in this instance doing it this way really doesn’t benefit me much, I could have just used a short piece of cable instead. Since I am running the hardwire whip from the EV charger directly into this box I will have to splice here anyway.

The real benefit of doing it this way is when I have to run EMT out of this box to a remote location in the garage where the charger will be. In that instance I like being able to run a single conductor all the way through the raceway and into the panel without having to unnecessarily splice in this box.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Possible point of interest, this is the third online electrical supplier that I ordered the LMFL from and had them send me the much more expensive ELMFL instead. Same thing but explosion proof.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Replace the chase nipples with close nipple and locknuts and it's code compliant.
Conduit couplings have straight threads, so is there an issue if you use a chase nipple going into a coupling? Presumably with a regular conduit elbow.

Also, if a run is mechanically secure, and only has one thread mismatch in it, that's just a bonding issue? Which could then be take care of by running a wire type EGC?

Are those elbows permitted to be concealed?
Right, the radius on the 3/4" elbow appears to be 2-1/4" or less, while Chapter 9 Table 2 specifies a minimum radius of 4-1/2".

Cheers, Wayne

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Replace the chase nipples with close nipple and locknuts and it's code compliant.

Are those elbows permitted to be concealed?
Good idea about using close nipples.

I can’t see why the elbows wouldn’t be permitted to be concealed. It doesn’t say anything in the listing and I don’t know of anything in code.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Conduit couplings have straight threads, so is there an issue if you use a chase nipple going into a coupling? Presumably with a regular conduit elbow.

Also, if a run is mechanically secure, and only has one thread mismatch in it, that's just a bonding issue? Which could then be take care of by running a wire type EGC?

Right, the radius on the 3/4" elbow appears to be 2-1/4" or less, while Chapter 9 Table 2 specifies a minimum radius of 4-1/2".

Cheers, Wayne
For what it’s worth, I did run a EGC conductor. I used donut reducers because I came in through a larger KO and I wasn’t sure if these chase nipples are good for bonding so I figured running the conductor was the best bet.

As far as the radius, would that apply in a listed fitting?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For what it’s worth, I did run a EGC conductor. I used donut reducers because I came in through a larger KO and I wasn’t sure if these chase nipples are good for bonding so I figured running the conductor was the best bet.

As far as the radius, would that apply in a listed fitting?

Yes, Have you seen those listed 90's for flex? They cannot be installed in a concealed location

For Flex

348.42 Couplings and Connectors. Angle connectors shall not
be concealed.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I guess my main curiosity would be the point of having access to it? It’s a completed raceway with no access door or way to dissemble it. Code requires it to be completely installed before installing conductors in it. So having access to it would provide no benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.