Is this Dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had to go to a building today and install some CT's to energize a feeder that we ran a year ago to a retail space. Another contractor did the fit out which picked up our 480 volt feeder and installed the 480-208Y/120 volt step down transformer. When I opened the 400 amp load side disconnect this is what I found. 400 amp fuses with 500 kcmil conductors and no GEC not to mention the wiring issue on the 400 amp disconnect. :oops:

XFMR Pyramid.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The GEC could be connected inside the xfmr.

The backwards wiring of the switch is inexcusable though, IMO.

Wire sizing seems ok.
No external conductors that could be a GEC at the transformer, just an EGC with the feeder and a SSBJ with the secondary conductors. With a 400 amp fuse the secondary conductors cannot be 500 kcmil or what David said. :)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Still have to lock and tag it! LOL!
The zip tie is the lock and the hand lettered sign is the tag. Nothing says it has to be pretty. If you wanted to be a stickler, you could punch a hole in the paper and run the zip tie through it. That meets the minimum for LOTO.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why would it need to be locked out in the first place? There are no fuses in the disconnect.

The 500 kcmil is too small:
images

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Somebody could be killed If the person who has to replace those fuses is not paying attention, and does not following procedure. Open the switch and expect the fuses de-energized.

Status
Not open for further replies.